Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Chat in Teams" - unable to send to individual users vs. a team or channel

Hi, we're starting to experiment with integration between Power BI and Teams. Per this blog post https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-new-power-bi-experiences-in-microsoft-teams/  we should be able to send the chat to a person, a channel, or a team:

1. Open a report, app, or dashboard
  2. Press “Chat in Teams”
  3. In the Share to teams dialog, enter a channel, one or more people, or a meeting name.
  4. Press send.
  5. Recipients can then open the link

However, we are unable to share with individual people - the dialog we actually see only seems to allow us to share to a team or channel. 

I'm trying to understand if I'm doing something wrong, if there's some security in Teams that may be blocking this, or if the blog post is off. Does anyone have insight into this?

Thanks,

Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @Anonymous 

You are right on your part, one possible workaround which I can think off is to select the slicers and filters that you want to apply first in the report from the power bi service and then share it through teams app which will help you to specify filters.

IF MY SOLUTION HELPED YOU PLEASE DO HIT A LIKE AND ACCEPT IT AS A SOLUTION IF IT SOLVES YOUR ERROR!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
NimaiAhluwalia
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hello @Anonymous 

As the blog states, you can share the report with specific people and if you are not able to do so than it may be due to some permission issue regarding Power BI.

I just tried sharing the report on the chat and it was successful!

NimaiAhluwalia_0-1619117547317.png

Try giving the dataset access to the user being shared with.

IF MY SOLUTION HELPED YOU PLEASE DO HIT A LIKE AND ACCEPT IT AS A SOLUTION IF IT SOLVES YOUR ERROR!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @NimaiAhluwalia , I'm wondering if you would post a screenshot of what you seen in the Power BI service when you use the "Chat in Teams" icon. Ours brings up the following dialog, where we find it's not possible to add individual users. I'm hoping yours will show some sort of difference that I can use to open a discussion with our internal Teams group and/or Microsoft.

Ours seems to call out very clearly that it can only be sent to a team or channel - do you see something different?

Chat in Teams.jpg

Thanks!

Scott

Hello @Anonymous 

I am getting the same option as you are getting right now when we click chat in teams from service, but if you want to share the report with a single user you have to open the team's app and then share it from there instead of sharing it from the service.

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @NimaiAhluwalia the problem from sharing from within the Teams app is that there isn't a way to set the filtering when you invite the user. For instance, in the Power BI service I could use slicers / filters to narrow down the data, and then something like highlight visual. When I share that way - all of those filters get "built in" to the URL that the "Chat in Teams" option generates - so it makes it super easy for the other person to see exactly what you're talking about.

If I share from within Teams, it seems to just share the entire report or dashboard - it doesn't allow me to specify filters, etc. that I was working with at the time. That's why we'd really like the "Chat in Teams" to work with individual people.

Let me know if you have any thoughts on how to work around this. Sounds like I may need to open up an Idea with Microsoft.

Thanks,

Scott

Hello @Anonymous 

You are right on your part, one possible workaround which I can think off is to select the slicers and filters that you want to apply first in the report from the power bi service and then share it through teams app which will help you to specify filters.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @NimaiAhluwalia , I've accepted your response as a solution - I was able to confirm that if I use "Chat in Teams" and then just copy/paste the URL it lists, then share the URL in the Teams client with a specific person - it does work and does keep the filters properly.

However, I still think this is an error in the MS documentation, as well as truthfully just missing functionality - it doesn't make sense to me I can share this with a "team" or "channel" but not a named person. I'll open up an Idea about this.

Thanks for your help! It provides a great workaround!

Scott

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors