Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

managing report access and workspaces

My organisation has many departments.  they require sometimes the same report as other departments.  My question is how to manage permissions for this.  I put the report and dataset into a workspace but I have had to name each person who can access the report as not all people in the same department are allowed to see the data.

Then I did a duplicate report into another workspace for another department.  Again i had to name all the people but then i had to go to the workspace of the dataset and name all the participants there also.  Is this the best way to manage access?

I have also tried creating an app but you can only create 1 app on a workspace.

I see on the various Power BI sites that some seem to keep all their datasets in 1 workspace.

trying to understand the best method and keeping the managing of users down to a minimum.

Can someone give me advise please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous,

Keeping a central dataset would be a good thing. You can create reports of that dataset and distribute them to different workspaces.
When you have an identical report that you want to distribute to different teams, you'll either have to publish it to two workspaces, or set up a different workspace and combine those two teams into that new workspace, which is both not ideal...

I would recommend setting up AAD (Azure Active Directory) security groups to manage access to workspaces and Apps. That way you'll only have to add/remove users from those groups.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous,

Keeping a central dataset would be a good thing. You can create reports of that dataset and distribute them to different workspaces.
When you have an identical report that you want to distribute to different teams, you'll either have to publish it to two workspaces, or set up a different workspace and combine those two teams into that new workspace, which is both not ideal...

I would recommend setting up AAD (Azure Active Directory) security groups to manage access to workspaces and Apps. That way you'll only have to add/remove users from those groups.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Nickyvv,

Would like to thank you for taking time to reply, much appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors