Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JaromBIDEVatDK
Helper II
Helper II

What's the difference between access error message?

I am using a test O365 account to test access. Sometimes I get the RLS ribbon across the top, sometimes I get a message that I simply don't have access to the dataset, and the last one, the one that I want people to see is a message allowing them to "Request Access". What's the difference for all of these? Knowing the difference I want to make sure they are all the same experience (again, ideally with the option to request access) I have RLS setup on all of them. I gave the test account access to none of the three reports and the test account returned three different experiences: 

JaromBIDEVatDK_0-1640294151996.pngJaromBIDEVatDK_1-1640294241405.png

JaromBIDEVatDK_2-1640294343332.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @JaromBIDEVatDK 

First of all, workspace members in the same workspace have basic permissions to access  reports in the workspace.

In your first picture, if the user is not a workspace member, then you need to assign the permission of the report so that the user can access the report through the shared link, otherwise the user will be rejected. You can check the permisson in "Manage Permissons" pane. Related link: Share Power BI reports and dashboards with coworkers and others 

In your second picture, you need to check whether the user have permissions of the underlying dataset. It can also been found in "Manage Permissons" pane. (Dashboards, reports, datasets including Apps)

68.png

If you add rls to the report, then in the Power BI service, you need add user members to the Row-level-security role by typing in the email address or name of the user or security group. Otherwise row-level security (RLS)  will limit their access. Need to notice that  if you want RLS to apply to workspace members, you can only assign them the Viewer role. Workspace members assigned AdminMember, or Contributor have edit permission for the dataset and, therefore, RLS doesn’t apply to them.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @JaromBIDEVatDK 

First of all, workspace members in the same workspace have basic permissions to access  reports in the workspace.

In your first picture, if the user is not a workspace member, then you need to assign the permission of the report so that the user can access the report through the shared link, otherwise the user will be rejected. You can check the permisson in "Manage Permissons" pane. Related link: Share Power BI reports and dashboards with coworkers and others 

In your second picture, you need to check whether the user have permissions of the underlying dataset. It can also been found in "Manage Permissons" pane. (Dashboards, reports, datasets including Apps)

68.png

If you add rls to the report, then in the Power BI service, you need add user members to the Row-level-security role by typing in the email address or name of the user or security group. Otherwise row-level security (RLS)  will limit their access. Need to notice that  if you want RLS to apply to workspace members, you can only assign them the Viewer role. Workspace members assigned AdminMember, or Contributor have edit permission for the dataset and, therefore, RLS doesn’t apply to them.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors