Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mlane
Frequent Visitor

What is the cost of sharing a Power BI dashboard with the General Public?

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/products/power-bi-embedded/

If someone who has a premium license, needed to estimate this cost of sharing a dashboard (map) that give them timely life saving information would power bi embedded need to be only thing I consider?

A ""Hypothetical"" Scenario:  Let me tell you guy a fairytale....   

Suppose through 30 years of research (an at least 100 staff members) we came up with a way to predict where the next fire will occur to the nearest 2000 meter radius..   But it turn out the method didn't just work for the next fire, but also works for where the next heart attack will occur.  We create a series of AI models for each different major emergency.   Also suppose that we have been able to deploy and train these models using the Azure Cloud and we pay roughly $80,769.42 to Microsoft as part of our enterprise license for that CI/CD pipeline.   Because its government the model is open source.

Now also suppose we have been built amazing friendly maps in non-Power BI software one but they are in Rshiny or Plotly so they are not accessible easily to the public.

Finally suppose that we have been working on trying to Migrate to Power BI.   And we have been succesful with all except 1 map.  However, that because the 1 map has a dynamically changing spatial polygon layer to the point that the polygons themselves are changing daily and its actually ARCGIS and Mapbox that are outdated.  Part of this because we one of the primary sources of ground truth for all regional maps for ArcGIS... and what you actually see on a Power BI map is simply a Yearly snapshot.  Another big part of this is that the polygonal file showing weather data and other emergency risk factors that explain the why visually the people living at ____ street of our city has 85% probability to have a fire this month or week.   And we color code those factors for that dynamic map file so you actually know for that dynamically changing multi-polygon layer which is the top greatest reason someone living on ________ street are at greater risk of a building fire.

Public awareness and knowing is half the battle of preventing medical and fire emergencies.  If people could visually see that they are at greater fire risk then news reporters, corporations, and communites could have the evidence to that they really need to change their behavior.  Getting people to have the will to change is a whole other half of the battle that my coworker fight every day.  But again this is a bit of a fairtale, as I don't know how feisble the cost of implementing such as system really is.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@mlane Yeah, Publish to Web comes with a huge list of limitations. I would think that something like an A1 SKU for non-profit would be pretty reasonable. An A1 SKU is $736 per month commercial MSRP price. Non-profit pricing would be far, far less than that. Each A SKU (1 - 6) doubles in price from the previous as both CPU's and memory are doubled betwen SKU increments.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@mlane What about Publish to Web? Would effectively be zero net additional cost.

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler still waiting to hear back from the Fabric community who have moved me over to the synapse community, but I did want to at least give you an update.  Currently I have not found the feature for automating the map loading into PowerBI in a way that allow the public to view the map.   (The point layer updates every hour.  The map layer and polygons less often)

My question about embedding @Greg_Deckler is this... while I wait for an answer to that question.    Does PowerBI embedding or Publis to the web... Which service give us greater control of how we update and deliver data to the public? 

Greg in a few minutes I will probably message you back, but I read over the documentation you provided.  I was not aware of the share to web.  My only concern is that my power BI data looks like a data cube instead of a single flattten file like most other visualization platforms. 

If I cannot flatten the file in Microsoft Fabric or replace how I want to flatten the files then I do think the caching que might be a problem with sharing via web.  But if I can flattent he file then using the sharing via the web option makes sense. 

So I am going to ask the community that question seperately. 

mlane_0-1712241827322.png

@mlane Yeah, Publish to Web comes with a huge list of limitations. I would think that something like an A1 SKU for non-profit would be pretty reasonable. An A1 SKU is $736 per month commercial MSRP price. Non-profit pricing would be far, far less than that. Each A SKU (1 - 6) doubles in price from the previous as both CPU's and memory are doubled betwen SKU increments.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors