Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mhilzendegen
Regular Visitor

Web refresh not working

Here is a fun one. Every time I update our PowerBI online and inform my users, I get angry messages from those users that they are still seeing the old version. When I click on the link after publish all is fine. They are by now trying everything. Emptying cache, different browsers. It is always the same, they get an old version. What is going on there?

Thanks

marko

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well @mhilzendegen , I wouldn't be using Publish to web, firstly, you'll get the sort of refresh problems you're experiencing, and secondly, you've just published your Report for anyone with the right skills to see, I would NOT rely on "security by obscurity".

From the documentation....

"The data is cached for one hour from the time it is retrieved. We don’t recommend using Publish to web for data that needs to refresh frequently."

see: Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @marko

It depends how you are sharing with your users.

If sharing via an App, the App will need updating before they see the new version.

If sharing via "Publish to web" it may take up to an hour from republishing for users to see the change.

If sharing via workspace or "shared with me" the users will need to refresh the report if they already have it open.

If none of these answer, give us a bit more information about how you are sharing, and whether you're using import mode or direct connect etc.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Hi @Burningsuit ,

I am using. Embed -> Publish to web. But it taking an hour makes no sense. It has been two hours since my first refresh....

Marko

Well @mhilzendegen , I wouldn't be using Publish to web, firstly, you'll get the sort of refresh problems you're experiencing, and secondly, you've just published your Report for anyone with the right skills to see, I would NOT rely on "security by obscurity".

From the documentation....

"The data is cached for one hour from the time it is retrieved. We don’t recommend using Publish to web for data that needs to refresh frequently."

see: Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Hope this helps

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors