Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KG1
Resolver I
Resolver I

Users unable to see visuals from connected Powerbi Dataset

Hi 

My data model consists of sharepoint folder connections and direct query to a dataset controlled by another part of the business (the training team)

All the report viewers have read only access to the direct query dataset and the dataowners are unwilling to allow build access

KG1_0-1658306735327.png

When they go into the report they are unable to see the data - they can see data within other dashboards produced and published by the training team

KG1_2-1658306638966.png

Can you please help?

Thank you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KG1 ,

What data source is your report connected to? Does the report apply any RLS? And can it display properly in Power BI Desktop? There are many reasons that may cause this error, please check the following threads that have similar error messages to yours. Hope they can help you to solve the problem.

Couldn't load the data for this visual

I think your dataset has RLS, right?
If this is a case, you need to assign role to user to apply RLS filter, otherwise they will got this can't load data error.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

BTW, current RLS only works on read permission, so admin and dataset owner can see each records even if they not get RLS roles.

Service: "Couldn't load the data for this visual", Desktop: all fine

The issue was the date in this function. replacing 31.01. by 31/01 solved the issue.

The problem was that I had finished my SQL query with semicolon;

When I removed the semicolon from the SQL query in advanced editor, the issue was resolved

Couldn't load data for this visual

You added build permissions to your shared dataset. Did you add build permissions to the dataset your dataset is sourced from? This typically explains this behavior for us, we build a Report B from Dataset A we must grant permissions at both sources.

could not load data for the visual

Refer to this post here. Your problem might be related. As suggested by the user trying changing data type of column in data source. If you think it is not related then perhaps open a support ticket with MS support.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KG1 ,

What data source is your report connected to? Does the report apply any RLS? And can it display properly in Power BI Desktop? There are many reasons that may cause this error, please check the following threads that have similar error messages to yours. Hope they can help you to solve the problem.

I think your dataset has RLS, right?
If this is a case, you need to assign role to user to apply RLS filter, otherwise they will got this can't load data error.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

BTW, current RLS only works on read permission, so admin and dataset owner can see each records even if they not get RLS roles.

Service: "Couldn't load the data for this visual", Desktop: all fine

The issue was the date in this function. replacing 31.01. by 31/01 solved the issue.

The problem was that I had finished my SQL query with semicolon;

When I removed the semicolon from the SQL query in advanced editor, the issue was resolved

Couldn't load data for this visual

You added build permissions to your shared dataset. Did you add build permissions to the dataset your dataset is sourced from? This typically explains this behavior for us, we build a Report B from Dataset A we must grant permissions at both sources.

could not load data for the visual

Refer to this post here. Your problem might be related. As suggested by the user trying changing data type of column in data source. If you think it is not related then perhaps open a support ticket with MS support.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

KG1
Resolver I
Resolver I

Thank you for your reply, They don't need to be able to build any reports - just view the visuals. I don't understand why the visuals are not working if they have read access to the dataset I am connected to?

but they trying to see a already existing report visual or trying to create one using that dataset? 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Just view the existing report visual

them ask verify the publish app option that all of them are added to the app share option, on the dataset check all dataset those users are added also directly on the dataset with view/read permit, and check if the report have row security level and if it does that those users have a role asigned to the report otherwise the Row security level could be wiping out the data for them

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

if they have read only permits on that dataset they cannot build reports on top of it another solution could be make the training team make a dataflow of that dataset and give build permits over the dataflow instead. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors