Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

ERing
Helper V
Helper V

Usage metrics I can download?

My company has rolled out Power BI over the last year and I've now been asked to provide usage metrics on a month over month basis. Specifically, the request is to provide:

1. The name of each report in our tenant and how many times that report has been opened.
2. The list of Power BI users and how many times they have opened a report.

Does anyone know the best way to get this information?
4 REPLIES 4
BITomS
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @ERing,

I struggle to get good insights on this myself, but use a combination of the following which you may find helpful:

This is at a report/workspace level and I find more useful for view counts: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-modern-usage-metrics

This is at the capacity/tenant level and seems to be a more accurate reflection of user numbers: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/fabric/enterprise/metrics-app

Hope it helps!

Thanks @BITomS I've looked at both as well, but neither really provides a good overview of report useage and user activity (report opens, etc). So as you mentioned, I'm struggling to get good insights.

Appreciate the info!

gwayne
Frequent Visitor

I rely heavily on the PowerShell cmlets and the API. I schedule my powershell scripts to run nightly and collect the data and store in a database for reporting. 

PowerShell cmdlets, REST APIs, and .NET Client libraries for administrators - Power BI | Microsoft L...

Power BI Cmdlets reference | Microsoft Learn

@gwayne This is new to me. I'll look it over. Thanks for the info!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors