Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

MeganBig
Regular Visitor

Trying to refresh dataset after workspace migration to non-PPU Environment

We had to migrate all of our workspaces from a PPU environment to a non-PPU environment. With this change, we are receiving a "This operation isn't allowed, as the database 'database name' is in a blocked state." for all of our power bi reports and datamarts. Based on the information here (Power BI Premium Per User - Power BI | Microsoft Learn), it says you need to refresh the dataset to fix the error.

I have tried to refresh the dataset through the power bi project file but source control fails on trying to update the semantic model in the workspace after merging my local branch into our development branch linked to the workspace. I receive the below error when trying to update the semantic model through source control.

MeganBig_1-1716398009288.png

I have tried to update the dataset through SSMS (How to refresh a single table in Power BI using SSMS | by Dhyanendra Singh Rathore | MediumRefresh Tables and Partitions in Power BI Using SSMS | by Yuki Kakegawa | Medium) but I receive the same database is in a blocked state error.

Any ideas on how to solve this without disconnecting the workspace from source control? I will need to find a solution for power bi reports as well as datamarts. 

Edit:

• I tried to save a new power bi project and pull that commit down into the branch through source control and that worked fine. Everything loaded as expected.
  • I can create a new workspace linked to my development branch and the report works. Even switching back and forth between PPU and Embedded licenses doesn't break the report. I believe the creation of the new workspace does the refresh to the semantic model that is needed to fix the error.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MeganBig
Regular Visitor

Was able to fix the error for power bi reports. I needed to do a "Process Full" on the database (not table) through SSMS. 

MeganBig_0-1716471486114.png

I wasn't able to fix the error in the datamart using the Process Full on the database. I ran into the following error "Either the database with the ID of '4729ae60-969d-4acb-a667-9650d8ae1ab9' does not exist in the server with the ID of 'autopremiumhosteastus2004-399', or the user does not have permissions to access the object." Wasn't able to find a solution for it. Resorted to recreating the datamart to create a new semantic model that wouldn't have the database blocked error. Not ideal but a workaround I could do as we don't have many reports built off of datamarts yet.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MeganBig
Regular Visitor

Was able to fix the error for power bi reports. I needed to do a "Process Full" on the database (not table) through SSMS. 

MeganBig_0-1716471486114.png

I wasn't able to fix the error in the datamart using the Process Full on the database. I ran into the following error "Either the database with the ID of '4729ae60-969d-4acb-a667-9650d8ae1ab9' does not exist in the server with the ID of 'autopremiumhosteastus2004-399', or the user does not have permissions to access the object." Wasn't able to find a solution for it. Resorted to recreating the datamart to create a new semantic model that wouldn't have the database blocked error. Not ideal but a workaround I could do as we don't have many reports built off of datamarts yet.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @MeganBig 

Unfortunately, when you migrate a workspace to different. models, the existing models will not refresh. You need to re upload the model and reprocess it from scratch. This is because under the hoods they are using different technologies and that is why they cannot be successfully refreshed.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors