Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MattSG
Frequent Visitor

Trying to make a report work on the cloud / power bi service

I'm sorry if this question is ham fisted, I'm a bit confused by the differences between service and desktop, and how they work together.

The gist: I have files on a network drive (mostly csv and excel) and I have a report mostly done on powerbi desktop. The data that goes into this report updates a few times a day. This is a forecasting / system stats report that my team makes decisions on during two meetings per day, and sometimes more. 

Ideally I want a report or dashboard (still foggy on the difference) that can be updated automatically at a few key times, which means pulling this data from various places on our network, none of which are currently one drive or sharepoint.

So my question is how do I need to do this? Do I need a server side script to put these files in a location on a schedule? Since there is a good bit of cleaning and formatting done by power query how does that work? Do I just need to have a desktop flow that updates and publishes the report?

I've tried searching, and youtube, and I am just not finding the guidance I need, so I'm probably barking up the wrong tree in terms of keywords to search for.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @MattSG 

What you are looking for is the Power BI Gateway. The Gateway will allow you to refresh your data from your network drive files.

You will need to install the Power BI Gateway onto a server that is always on. Then once installed you will then configure the data source in the Power BI Service to connect to your gateway, which then connects to your Network drive.

You can then schedule your Power BI report to be updated a few times a day which will be automated and the reports will also update showing the latest data.

Here is how to install the Gateway: Install an on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Learn

And this is how to connect to Network files:Configuring Power BI Gateway Data Sources For Files And Folders - Chris Webb's BI Blog (crossjoin.co...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MattSG
Frequent Visitor

Fantastic, thank you so much

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @MattSG 

What you are looking for is the Power BI Gateway. The Gateway will allow you to refresh your data from your network drive files.

You will need to install the Power BI Gateway onto a server that is always on. Then once installed you will then configure the data source in the Power BI Service to connect to your gateway, which then connects to your Network drive.

You can then schedule your Power BI report to be updated a few times a day which will be automated and the reports will also update showing the latest data.

Here is how to install the Gateway: Install an on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Learn

And this is how to connect to Network files:Configuring Power BI Gateway Data Sources For Files And Folders - Chris Webb's BI Blog (crossjoin.co...

Power BI Blog

That definitely looks like my answer.

So does this know what to do with the data from my report, or does it all have to be set up separately? Like do I need to do fresh power queries?

Hi @MattSG 

Yes it knows what to do, it does all the data loading as you did in your Power BI Desktop report.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors