Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ibazghadze
Frequent Visitor

This visual has exceeded the available resources.

I uploaded the file to the service, but I have this error:

More details: The XML for Analysis request timed out before it was completed. Timeout value: 225 sec.
Activity ID: ca78156d-f87b-44cf-bfc8-92479d09cf7e
Correlation ID: 2c86265e-089a-f24e-9a05-fd09bfe6749b
Request ID: 2ef40646-1caa-4d18-8d66-9ae0912ac9d1
Time: Fri Apr 05 2024 19:28:00 GMT+0400 (Georgia Standard Time)
Service version: 13.0.22973.64
Client version: 2403.4.18690-train
Cluster URI: https://wabi-east-asia-b-primary-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

I need to export data in excel file, which contains up to 2000 rows and up to 100 measures.

I usually export Excel file from the desktop version.

3 REPLIES 3
v-kaiyue-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ibazghadze ,

Thanks for sharing @johnbasha33 , I have a few more suggestions here.

The reason you mentioned that the issue is resolved when switching from DirectQuery to import mode is because the import method brings data into Power BI's in-memory engine. Whereas the amount of data processed in DirectQuery mode may exceed the available resources or the processing time exceeds the timeout threshold.DirectQuery mode maintains a live connection to the data source, which can be resource-intensive for large datasets or complex queries.

When you load a report page or make changes to fields in a visual object, the visual object sends queries to the report's data source. Processing these queries requires time and computer memory. To prevent any individual query from consuming too many resources, queries in a published report are limited by the query runtime (timeout) and the amount of memory the query can use (memory limit). These limits may vary depending on where the data is hosted.

More information can be found in the documentation:

Set visual query limits in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Apply data point limits and strategies by visual type - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If your Current Period does not refer to this, please clarify in a follow-up reply.

Best Regards,

Clara Gong

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@ibazghadze 

The error message you're encountering indicates that the XML for Analysis (XMLA) request timed out before it could be completed. This timeout issue often occurs when working with large datasets or complex queries in Power BI Service.

Here are some steps you can take to address this issue and export your data to an Excel file:

1. Optimize the Data Model: Review your Power BI report and data model to identify any areas for optimization. This could include removing unnecessary columns, aggregating data at a higher level, or optimizing DAX calculations to improve performance.

2. Reduce the Dataset Size: If possible, try reducing the size of the dataset you're working with. This could involve applying filters to limit the amount of data being retrieved or aggregated.

3. Incremental Data Refresh: Consider implementing incremental data refresh in your Power BI dataset to only refresh and load new or changed data. This can help reduce the amount of data being processed and improve performance during data export.

4. Adjust Timeout Settings: You may be able to adjust timeout settings in your Power BI Service workspace or dataset settings to allow for longer query execution times. However, keep in mind that longer timeouts can increase resource consumption and may not always solve the underlying performance issue.

5. Export Data in Chunks: Instead of exporting the entire dataset at once, consider exporting data in smaller chunks or segments. This can help reduce the load on the system and avoid timeout issues.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

I have this problem when i use direct method, when I change import method it works.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors