Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

GarryPope
Advocate I
Advocate I

Sharing with Everyone explanation

Hello Power BI Community,

Please can you help.

When sharing a report, I see a couple of options I can use. On the screenshot below I can select "People in your organization".

GarryPope_0-1646755591554.png

Or if I select "Specific people" from the above screenshot, I get the below:

GarryPope_1-1646755673052.png

I have two questions please:

1. What is the difference between both these options?
  2. What does each option mean? By that I want to understand what Everyone@CompanyName.com actually includes, is it all licensed users in Azure Active Directory, does it exclude Guests etc.

Thanks very much,

Garry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@GarryPope So the difference is that the Everyone group is a security group essentially and you are sharing such that anyone in that security group can use the link. If your Azure AD folks disable the security group, etc. then the people would lose access. Usually the Everyone group in Azure Active directory is a dynamic group (uses a rule to add people).

The other option, share with everyone in the organization does not rely on a group and basically anyone authenticated to your tenant (organization) would be able to use the link.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GarryPope
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hello @Greg_Deckler,

This is great. Thanks so much for the help. 

The "Everyone@" is a Group, and depending how we manage it, this could contain everyone or certain people or it's been disabled and not used. I'll look into what we've done with that Group. 

The "People in your organisation" is anyone who has access to our tenancy can see this data. So that could be, for instance, contractors, exernal guests etc.

If I've misunderstood please reply back. If not, then no problem and again, thanks for your help.

Garry

@GarryPope I don't believe it extends to contractors or external guests necessarily. It would be anyone that has the same UPN as your organization *I believe*. So if you gave contractors an actual user in your Azure AD then yes. If they are Azure B2B then I don't believe that is the case.

Latest book!:

Hello @Greg_Deckler,

You're the best. Thanks so much for coming back to me and clarifying that. I subsequently did a bit of research myself, rather than being lazy and asking you to answer all my questions, haha! 
At this Microsoft Docs it says:

"People in your organization

This type of link can allow people in your organization to access the report. This link will not work for external users nor guest users. Use this link when you want to share with someone in your organization and are comfortable with them passing the link around to other people inside your organization, but when you want to ensure that the link won’t work for external nor guest users."

Thank you! This is exactly what I have been looking for.

It's quite difficult to get clarity from any documentation on what to do to ensure guest users are restricted from accessing anything, or whether guest users by default have no access that is not explicitly shared with them.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@GarryPope So the difference is that the Everyone group is a security group essentially and you are sharing such that anyone in that security group can use the link. If your Azure AD folks disable the security group, etc. then the people would lose access. Usually the Everyone group in Azure Active directory is a dynamic group (uses a rule to add people).

The other option, share with everyone in the organization does not rely on a group and basically anyone authenticated to your tenant (organization) would be able to use the link.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors