Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

omerez
Regular Visitor

Sharing a report - keeps failing

I published a report to the service and was trying to share it with external users (people not in my domain) for read/share only.

omerez_0-1608873915420.png

Adding an email address and clicking 'Share' ended with a success message -

omerez_1-1608874048655.png

However, the user did not get the email and also the email address does not appear in Access tab -

omerez_4-1608874689300.png

Also checked in Admin settings, it seems to be fine -

omerez_3-1608874465060.png

I'm the Power BI service admin, on Pro trial and tried that with different email addresses for this report (my domain, other work domains, gmail.com, outlook.com) - all fail with the same behavior.

I've been using the Share options so many times in my previous workplace and never had issues...

Any kind of help will be much appreciated.

Thank you 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
omerez
Regular Visitor

OK. Found the solution - all works now.

External users should be added to your Azure AD as guest users. Follow this guide (pretty straight forward).

Just create the guest user, no need to assign to an app.

A good indication to make sure sharing will work as expected: when you'll try to share a report with a preconfigured Azure AD guest user (or a domain user) - Power BI will autocomplete the email address when trying to share a report with that user (unlike the experience I had before).

Indication before:

Before.png

Indication after:

After.png

Power BI team - you're doing an amazing job, this is THE best BI tool. If you happen to read this - please just add a proper notifcation message...

Thanks 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
omerez
Regular Visitor

OK. Found the solution - all works now.

External users should be added to your Azure AD as guest users. Follow this guide (pretty straight forward).

Just create the guest user, no need to assign to an app.

A good indication to make sure sharing will work as expected: when you'll try to share a report with a preconfigured Azure AD guest user (or a domain user) - Power BI will autocomplete the email address when trying to share a report with that user (unlike the experience I had before).

Indication before:

Before.png

Indication after:

After.png

Power BI team - you're doing an amazing job, this is THE best BI tool. If you happen to read this - please just add a proper notifcation message...

Thanks 🙂

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@omerez 

Since you have marked true fro "Send an email notification to recipient", he should receive it and will be prompted to sign in with his power bi credentials to view the report.
Let him check spam or any blocked mail from his domain.

Following is the content that is supposed to be in the email

Fowmy_0-1608896260670.png

For b2b, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxQWEQ1NnlY

If my answer was helpful, please click Accept it as the solution to help other members find it useful

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

Website YouTube  LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Hi @Fowmy  - I know this is how it should behave, but it's not.

I've tried with 5 different email addresses from different domains - no one got an email (inbox or spam) - nothing.

Also, the "Access" tab who supposed to show the email addresses I shared the report with.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors