Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

agwalsh1812
Helper I
Helper I

Set up a dashboard so that a user only has access to his/her data - roles? Azure groups?

I have a customer who has an Excel file on Sharepoint and they want to create a PowerBI file mobile version where each sales manager only has access to his/her data. What they want is fairly standard but I#d like to get pointers on the following.

I know roles can be set up (theres about 15 people) but they want mobile access on iPads/phone app etc.  but really would I be better off getting that access controlled by the IT department using their existing groups?

Suggestions around best practice for a single source of truth file 

Will the use of different devices impact on the layout of the report?

Anything else I should be aware of.. Thank you! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yifanw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @agwalsh1812 ,

Based on the information you provided, you can use row-level security (RLS) to ensure that each sales manager only sees data that is relevant to him or her. You can do this by creating roles in Power BI Desktop and defining DAX filters for each role. Once published to the Power BI service, you can assign these roles to the appropriate users or user groups. Unless the user groups are centrally managed by IT, IT intervention is not necessarily required.
See this document for steps to implement RLS:

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Maintaining a single source of fact is critical to data integrity and consistency. To ensure that it is the only fact source, you should connect to this file directly from Power BI Desktop using a SharePoint folder or SharePoint linked list connector. This way, any updates made to the Excel file will be reflected in the Power BI reports after refreshing.

Yes, the device type may affect the layout of Power BI reports.Power BI provides a feature to create mobile-optimised reports alongside standard reports. When designing reports in Power BI Desktop, you can use the Mobile Layout view to arrange visual objects in a way that is optimised for mobile devices. This ensures that when users access a report on an iPad or mobile phone, they see a layout that is tailored to the smaller screen.
For more information, see:

About mobile-optimized Power BI reports - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Ada Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
agwalsh1812
Helper I
Helper I

Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it. 

v-yifanw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @agwalsh1812 ,

Based on the information you provided, you can use row-level security (RLS) to ensure that each sales manager only sees data that is relevant to him or her. You can do this by creating roles in Power BI Desktop and defining DAX filters for each role. Once published to the Power BI service, you can assign these roles to the appropriate users or user groups. Unless the user groups are centrally managed by IT, IT intervention is not necessarily required.
See this document for steps to implement RLS:

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Maintaining a single source of fact is critical to data integrity and consistency. To ensure that it is the only fact source, you should connect to this file directly from Power BI Desktop using a SharePoint folder or SharePoint linked list connector. This way, any updates made to the Excel file will be reflected in the Power BI reports after refreshing.

Yes, the device type may affect the layout of Power BI reports.Power BI provides a feature to create mobile-optimised reports alongside standard reports. When designing reports in Power BI Desktop, you can use the Mobile Layout view to arrange visual objects in a way that is optimised for mobile devices. This ensures that when users access a report on an iPad or mobile phone, they see a layout that is tailored to the smaller screen.
For more information, see:

About mobile-optimized Power BI reports - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Ada Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors