Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zuheirashraf17
Advocate II
Advocate II

Service Principal Account to Access Dataflow

Dear Experts,

So I just recently built CICD Automation process for our team via Azure Devops. Its all works fine until some of the reports started to use dataflows as its main source.

Whenever the Principal Account took over the dataset (containing Azure SQL and Dataflow) as the connections, it lost the credentials and unable to continue with its automated Schedule refresh.

So my question is, is it possible to allow dataflows read access to the service principal account?

Here is what I've done without success;

• Gave principal account to the Dataflow's Workspace admin access
  • Gave principal account security group to the Dataflow's Workspace admin access
  • Tried to take over dataflow with principal account (I thought could do this with API but it failed)

I look up into some of the limitations on principal account, it does mention of the following;

• Dataflows management is not supported. 

I'm not sure if this is applied to my case, its not really trying to manage anything, its simply to allow access to the dataset to refresh, that's all. 

Relevant screenshot as below;

zuheirashraf17_1-1621564297523.png

Dataset configured by Principal Account

zuheirashraf17_1-1621564620094.pngzuheirashraf17_0-1621564525429.png

If the dataflow (2nd Source) is removed from Report, it able to get the credentials just fine since the first source is from Azure SQL DB.

Any help and suggestions is highly appreciated.

Regard,

Zuheir

3 REPLIES 3
zuheirashraf17
Advocate II
Advocate II

I still couldn't find any answers to this issue. Previous suggestion from Rohit concerns tenant Admins as it allows the security group to read the whole tenants directory as admin via API. This is not allowed as it may contain user data. -Thus our request was denied, and couldn't even start with the testing. 

Appreciate it if there is another way to do it. 

RJ251997
Helper I
Helper I

Hi 

you can follwe this step to solve this probelms .

RJ251997_0-1621569681589.pngSign into the Azure portal as a Global Administrator, an Application Administrator, or a Cloud Application Administrator.

RJ251997_1-1621569787039.png

Thank & Regards 

rohit

Hi Rohit,

thanks for the info. May I know if the 2nd image coming from Power BI Tenant level setting or at capacity settings?

I don't have the administration access, might need to request it for our uses. So I might need as detail information as I can before proceed for the request.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors