Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Security Permission in Power BI report Dashboard when connected with SharePoint Online

Hello Experts,

Does Power BI report/Dashboard showing Data from SharePoint Online lists also takes care of the item level permission applied on SharePoint List items? For e.g If a PowerBI report is build using SharePoint Online List data with 100 items. Item Level permission is applied in the source list. User X has permission only to 50 items . Does Power BI report shows only those 50 items to which user X ( when he access the Dashboard/Report page in Sharepoint)has access OR it will show all 100 items?  If it shows all 100 items, is there a way ,this restricted permission can be applied ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there

Yes you certainly can and this will solve your challenge.

When setting up RLS you can use the DAX function USERPRINCIPALNAME() which will return the logged in users details.

Here is more details on RLS:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls

And here is a great cheat sheet you can try with first: https://www.kasperonbi.com/power-bi-desktop-dynamic-security-cheat-sheet/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

When import data from data source such as Share Point Onile, the data imported based on the permission of credential you used, if you use a admin account to refresh the dataset, it can access and import all the data you want. Users who access the report can see all the data if there is no RLS roles applied or they have edit permission of this report.

As a workaround, you can create a Template Apptemplate apps that allow your customers to connect and instantiate with their own accounts. 

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think this can be a workaround:

- SharePoint List ,by defaukt ,have column "Created By" which gets impported when Dataaset is created in PowerBi.

- Set up the RLS where Logged In user = Created By , to display corresponding records.

But question is , can we set up RLS based on USerLogged In ? If yes, any steps would be appreciated.

For admins, a seperate dashboard can be set up with all access.

Hi there

Yes you certainly can and this will solve your challenge.

When setting up RLS you can use the DAX function USERPRINCIPALNAME() which will return the logged in users details.

Here is more details on RLS:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls

And here is a great cheat sheet you can try with first: https://www.kasperonbi.com/power-bi-desktop-dynamic-security-cheat-sheet/

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Out of the box, the user will see all 100 items because the imported dataset will show all the data.

With that being said you can apply Row Level Security to only show the data for the specific users
Here are more details: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Gilbert. RLS actually doesn't solve my problem.

So, If a new record is added in SharePoint List with itemlevel permission to USer X only, the PowerBI dataset is refreshed to reflect new record . This record will be visible to all unless Admin/Owner ,gets into PowerBI and apply RLS to that record.

What I want is if a record is added and User X does not have permission to it in SHarePoint List, then it should also not be visible in PowerBI report dashboard? Is there a way we can avoid manual applying of RLS in PowerBI dataset ?

Hi there

Unfortunately as it stands today the only way I know how to achieve this is through RLS

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors