Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RonK

Scheduled refresh error "Unable to connect"

When I try to change the data source privacy setting (tried all 4 choices) I get the following error:

MTI Data Gateway:Invalid connection credentials.
Underlying error code:-2146232060
Underlying error message:Login failed for user '••••••••••••'.
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult:-2146232060
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingNativeErrorCode:18456

I am connecting to SQL Server (in an Azure VM) using basic authentication. The server is set with a cert and to force encryption.

I can connect ok with PBI Desktop as long as Encryption is off. If Encryption is turned on I get the error:

Microsoft SQL: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: SSL Provider, error: 0 - The received certificate has expired.)

I have installed the client cert on the gateway and desktop. I checked the client and server certs and they are both valid and not expired.

Any ideas?

1 REPLY 1
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @RonK ,

It is because you are using the encrypted connection to connect to SQL database then causes the error. 

Please refer to this similar thread to troubleshoot the issue: 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17615260/the-certificate-chain-was-issued-by-an-authority-that-i...

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors