Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SQL Server Multidimensional Cube with Live Connection SSAS is not bringing back the correct datatype

I have spent many days on this now and I have not gotten any closer. 

I have a SQL Server (SSAS) Multi-dimensional cube using a LIVE CONNECTION to SSAS and it is not bringing back the correct datatypes. For my Date Time Fields, they are TEXT.  Unfortunately, since we are using the SSAS LIVE CONNECTION, i DO NOT have any abilities to modify the field properties, I can not make new fields in Power BI because I have no abillities to create columns or measures, because I have no DAX functionality with the Multi-dimensional cube with live connection 

In the Visual Studios for the MultiDimensional Cube you can see the field is Date

mrutan_0-1667308162220.png

In the Power BI the field is a text. The field is greyed out because it is an SSAS Live Connection and I do not have the ability to change it. It tells me i need to change it in the cube setup.

mrutan_1-1667308248008.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

The answer actually turned out to be quite simple. I needed to change the sort by to Key, and then change the dataformat to yyyy-MM-dd

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

The answer actually turned out to be quite simple. I needed to change the sort by to Key, and then change the dataformat to yyyy-MM-dd

cpwebb
Employee
Employee

The video here on using SSAS Multidimensional as a source for Power BI is a few years old but still relevant:

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2018/01/27/using-ssas-multidimensional-as-a-data-source-for-power-bi-vi...

The section beginning at 39:30 on the ValueColumn property is what you should look at - it shows how you can make Power BI recognise dates as dates.

Chris

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors