Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SAP BW Message Server - Gateway Connection

We'd like to take advantage of the load balancing and as such would like to use the BW message Server rather than the App Server. As such, I've created a report and utilized the BW Message Server connection and was able to successfully login and create a report. 

The problem I'm having is that when I try to create an entry into the gateway I'm not getting the same login options as I do when connection in Power BI desktop. In Power BI Desktop I'm allowed to enter my credentials as a database user, however, in the gateway my only options are basic and windows. Basic is asking for a windows password and windows is requesting NSC partner and Library of which I don't want to use either. Again, I'd like to log in using the database users. 

Just to clarify when creating a connection to SAP Business Warehouse Server (App Layer) in the gateway, when I select Basic I'm prompted for a username password but when setting up BW Message service the basic auth type is requesting a windows username/pass. 

Thoughts/Ideas?

Am I doing something wrong? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

Yes, we should keep the credential the same when connect data source in Power BI Desktop and add data source in Gateway.

Please enter your database credential in the box highlight in red.

SAP BW.PNG

If you get any error message, please share some screenshots and details information.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks v-piga-msft!

Wan't able to verify till today if this worked or not. We recently upgraded our system to BW on Hana and there was some SAP GUI updates that needed to be done on the Gateway Server before we could test. That said, we were able to succesfully create our Gateway Connection utilizing the Message Server. 

Thanks again

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

Yes, we should keep the credential the same when connect data source in Power BI Desktop and add data source in Gateway.

Please enter your database credential in the box highlight in red.

SAP BW.PNG

If you get any error message, please share some screenshots and details information.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors