Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Restore deleted items in Power BI

Hi,

Is there an option to restore deleted items in Power BI?

I mean with items:

* workspace

* 1 report

* 1 dashboard

* 1 dataset

kind regard,

Davina

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

1. For restoring workspace, if you have access to Admin Porttal in power bi service, you will see the workspaces status in Workspaces. If not, please contact your administartor to operate. There are divided into two types:
    • If you delete a new/application workspace, you will see the status as 'Deleted', just click the (...) to restore, make sure there is at least one admin in workspacerestore workspace.png
    • If you delete a classic workspace, you can see the same status as new workspace but it is more complicated than new workspace to restore because when you delete the classic workspcae, the related Office 365 group will also be deleted, you need to restore the Ofiice 365 group in Azure Portal first then wait for moment in power bi service to see the restored classic workspace.restore classic.png
  2. For restoring a report, I'm afraid could not do it directly. You had better back up the same copy in advance on-premiss.
  3. For restoring a dashboard, you can re-pin a tile in report to dashboard not restore it directly.
  4. For restoring a dataset, you can re-connect to it or repulish a report to power bi service and it will generate dataset automatically, it also could not restore it directly.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

1. For restoring workspace, if you have access to Admin Porttal in power bi service, you will see the workspaces status in Workspaces. If not, please contact your administartor to operate. There are divided into two types:
    • If you delete a new/application workspace, you will see the status as 'Deleted', just click the (...) to restore, make sure there is at least one admin in workspacerestore workspace.png
    • If you delete a classic workspace, you can see the same status as new workspace but it is more complicated than new workspace to restore because when you delete the classic workspcae, the related Office 365 group will also be deleted, you need to restore the Ofiice 365 group in Azure Portal first then wait for moment in power bi service to see the restored classic workspace.restore classic.png
  2. For restoring a report, I'm afraid could not do it directly. You had better back up the same copy in advance on-premiss.
  3. For restoring a dashboard, you can re-pin a tile in report to dashboard not restore it directly.
  4. For restoring a dataset, you can re-connect to it or repulish a report to power bi service and it will generate dataset automatically, it also could not restore it directly.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yingjl,

Thanks for your feedback.

Do you know any planning of restoring?

kind regards,

Davina

Hi @Anonymous ,

My pleasure😄.

For restore planning, I'm not certain. But if you have any ideas about restoring, welcome to sumbit these ideas to https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas to help us improve power bi and make it coming sonner by voting🙂.

Best Regards,

Yingjie Li

Anonymous
Not applicable

Open Power BI Desktop instead of double-clicking the the corrupted pbix file's location.
Click File -> Open -> Select the corrupted pbix file.
You will see a yellow ribbon saying “open in autorecovery mode..” Click on it and the file will open with the version before it got corrupted.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Not aware of any kind of recycle bin functionality.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors