Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DarrenW40_

Report will refresh in Desktop when downloading locally. Once published, scheduled refresh fails

Hi, 

We have a number of reports where the data is consumed from Azure Dev-Ops. The data is used to generate progress reports on work done in ADO. With two reports, the scheduled refresh fails, I can download the report locally, and once I've re-authenticated and checked the data downloaded, it'll let me refresh and republish. However, when It next tries to run a scheduled refresh or even a manual refresh from the web, it fails. Giving me the error code: 

Data source error: DataSource.Error: <ccon>OData: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.. DataSourceKind = VSTS. DataSourcePath = TfL-TechDev. </ccon>;OData: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface. Table: MergedVSTSDataHistorywithBoardLocation.
Cluster URI: WABI-NORTH-EUROPE-F-PRIMARY-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: b239bf39-1b72-41f2-94a6-2315d125d130
Request ID: e703f27c-7817-f029-8206-278a2814725d
Time: 2023-03-17 14:44:16Z

This feels like the authentication expires once published, is there something I should be looking for? 

Thanks all! 

1 REPLY 1
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @DarrenW40_ ,

The first step that I think of would be to make sure that your gateway and your desktop versions are the latest and greatest versions.  I know that a new gateway version was released just recently.  This could be the issue - an outdated driver or something.  It may or may not resolve the problem.

Odata and data sources can get overwhelmed by the amount of data going back and forth and my best guess is that you might have too big of a query for Odata and it is timing out and/or the data source is waiting too long to get or receive an answer from the query.  The solution to that would be to reduce the query size (maybe incremental refresh?) or break it into multiple dataflows?

I did find this article which talks about updating the TLS protocols.  An existing connection was forcibly closed (OS error 10054) - SQL Server | Microsoft Learn

I also found some threads that talked about running a network trace (like fiddler) and seeing if there are any firewall or blocked ports.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors