Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

cerebraino
Employee
Employee

Refreshed but Still Stale Data Report Needed

Hello, at work we have a model of around 60 tables pulled from myriad of sources including sharepoint, Kusto, etc. Some groups of people are responsible for keeping some data files/sources fresh for Power Bi to grab the latest data when refreshed, however sometimes people do not keep data files/sources updated, for instance they do not update a client list sharepoint file for two or more months, therefore even tough Power Bi is being refreshed it is doing so with old "stale" data, and that's a big problem.

I wonder if there's a way in which a log or record could be automatically created and updated  so it keeps countrows and file size for each time a table gets refreshed, if that's possible then we could do easily a report to detect no changes lets say for 90 days, and trigger an alert to go and tell responsibles abut it.

I am not sure if the solution could reside in a dataflow or probably we could use some built in dataset reporting feature, I am clueless! Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas or resources to explore, regards Juan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi GilbertQ, thanks a lot for your answer, however I am unsure if I will be allowed to use/or if we have Power Automate licensing to solve this issue, will check later this week, thanks again! Juan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
cerebraino
Employee
Employee

Thanks GilbertQ you rock!!

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @cerebraino 

What you could do is use Power Automate where you can run a DAX query on each table using the COUNTROWS DAX function. You can then export this file to say a CSV file which can be saved into Sharepoint online.

Then you could have a Power BI report which will read those CSV files from Sharepoint online, and you can then create alerts etc based off this dataset.

I have a blog post below on how to get the DAX query, export it to a CSV file in Sharepoint using Power Automate.

Exporting a Power BI Visual data to a CSV File in SharePoint - FourMoo | Power BI | Data Analytics

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi GilbertQ, thanks a lot for your answer, however I am unsure if I will be allowed to use/or if we have Power Automate licensing to solve this issue, will check later this week, thanks again! Juan

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors