Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

lg_analyst
Helper I
Helper I

Refresh from Dataflow looping in Desktop model

Hi all,

I'm having issues refreshing a Power BI Desktop model pointing to 5 tables stored in a dataflow. When I attempt refreshing the model, 2 out of these 5 tables start looping and therefore the refresh can't finish successfully. The tabes are loaded for their whole size, but when the value is reached the refresh process starts looping. If I singularly refresh every table the same issue happens for these 2, while I'm able to correctly refresh the other 3 tables.

Few details here:

- I'm able to import and even refresh the exact same tables on a new Power BI Desktop model, it looks like an issue directly related to this specific model I've built. Since it has many calculated columns and measures tho, I'd like to avoid building a new report from scratch. No issue seems to be present in the advanced editor, which I can share here.

- The dataflow where these tables are stored gets easily refresh in 5/6 minutes. It points to a PostgreSQL database where these tables are frequently updated (say every 5 mins), while I only refresh the dataflow twice per day.

- This Power BI Desktop model is published on an online dashboard with scheduled refreshes twice per day. These work correctly, although they take quite a long time (30/35 mins each).

- I've read that restarting capacity might be a solution, but the company I'm working for only has Power BI Pro accoutns, so this is not possible. I've tried to clear the cache on the Power BI Desktop model but it didn't help.

Any hint?
Thanks a lot

1 REPLY 1
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @lg_analyst 

It sounds like you have a capacity issue here as CDM folder can not save data without limit. Incremental refresh for the dataflow can be the solution howeve you will need a Premium license for that.

Check out this link, it could help

https://ssbipolar.com/2018/11/27/power-bi-dataflows-faq/#:~:text=Each%20dataflow%20is%20saved%20in,o....

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors