Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

wx5558284
Frequent Visitor

RLS not filter on both side direction many to one relation

Hello,

I have a "Hierachy" Table with some over lap parent bucket and a "SubNumber" table with Subbucket and Numbers need to sum.

In Hierachy table the Sub='ab' is located both 'Main'='a' and 'Main'='b'.

Due to no many to many relation I created a caculated Table "DistinctSub": 

DistinctSub = SUMMARIZE(Hierachy,Hierachy[Sub])
Set relation as 'Sub' field from "Hierachy" to "DistinctSub" to "SubNumber".
First relation is many to 1 with both side direction and second relation is 1 to many with 1 side direction.
Now I can have a sumed number on 'Main' field.
But When I set a role for 'Main'='a' I found that the "SubNumber table is not filtered. 
I put a slicer on Hierachy[Main] , it only have one value 'a', but select and deselect it can show/hide "SubNumber" table.

Is there a way to use RLS on many to 1 relation?

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there I would suggest starting to see if you had to remove the many - many relationship if this would resolve your current RLS issue. I have seen it in the past where there was a lot of time spent trying to get the RLS working, when the underlying issue was with a Many - Many relationship

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Same issue here, and I resolved for my case by keeping our many-to-many relation, but changing Cross filter direction from "Both" to "Single". 

Thanks for the many-to-many tip -- that's what lead me to understanding that it was the two-directional cross-filtering that was at issue. 

Thanks, we use relations is because we already have a lot of info and measures on the SubNumber table, without relation we might need to replicate all the measure under the 'Main' condition. If there's no such way to use RLS on many to one relation I'd do so.

Hi there It would appear that in order for it to work, the data model would need to be changed.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors