Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kevhav
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Prompt Notification of Stale Data, by Comparing to UTCNOW()

Say I have a Power BI dataset with a datetime column, "DateTimeX," the values of which are in UTC. And, the dataset is refreshed every 4 hours in the Power BI Service.

Is there some way to have Power BI notify me when the "most recent value of DateTimeX" is, say, more than 5 hours old?

What I thought I might do:

• Create an "Age of Latest Data" measure to show how old my data is:
    Age of Latest Data = UTCNOW() - MAX(DateTimeX)
  • Create a report, with just one "Card" visualization, showing Age of Latest Data; and pin that Card to a dashboard
  • Create a data alert to notify me when "Age of Latest Data" > 5 hours

However, I read that "Alerts only work on data that is refreshed. When data refreshes, Power BI looks to see if an alert is set for that data. If the data has reached an alert threshold, an alert is triggered."

Instead, I want to be notified as soon as "Age of Latest Data" > 5 hours ... including between data refreshes.

So, I don't think I can do this with the "data alert" functionality.

Is there any other way to do this? To have Power BI give me some kind of notification, as soon as "Age of Latest Data" > 5 hours?

1 REPLY 1
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @kevhav,

Firstly, I would suggest you create an idea here. I tried to work around this with Microsoft Flow. But it kept sending emails. Maybe you can try it out.

Prompt_Notification_of_Stale_Data_by_Comparing_to_UTCNOW

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors