Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mturcotte
Frequent Visitor

Problems after Taking Ownership of Dataset, Report link still points to former account's workspace

I'm trying to help a customer with migrating (MOVE) reports and datasets into the workspace of a new Power BI Pro account.

The existing account is to be shutdown, which is why they needed to setup a new PowerBI Pro account.

The new account is ONLY based on a Microsoft Account (i.e. not in their local AD), while the old account is based in their local AD.

After granting the Administrator Role to the new account, I logged into the new account and successfully used the Take Ownership of one dataset.

Then from the new account I removed all permissions on that dataset and its associated report from the old Administrator account.

When I published the report (and dataset) from Power BI Desktop (AUgust 2020, 2.84.981.0 (20.08) (x64)), while logged into the NEW account, I got a warning that the report was con

"Replace this dataset?

You already have a dataset named 'Dataset_Name' in Power BI.

Replacing this dataset may impact:

1 report

View the impact on this change on the content in the Power BI service."

When I clicked the link at the bottom of that warning, I was sent to the OLD Power BI account and then got a message stating I did not have access to that group.

Even when removing Admin Role at the Workspace level from OLD account, links provided by Power BI Desktop are broken whether in the warning to assess impact or after successful publishing replacement.

I tried this with a net new report I created (but not published) while logged into the NEW account. I saved that new report on the local file system.

Then I logged into the OLD account, created a new test workspace and imported (through Web Upload on powerbi.com) the report. Tested it worked.

Then I granted Administrator Role to the NEW account. Proceeded with the Take Ownership, Remove Access to OLD account on the test workspace. It remained listed in the OLD account, but was not accessible from OLD account.

And when I tried to publish to the NEW account from Power BI Desktop, I got that warning and both the link to assess Impact and the Success link to the report once I clicked on REPLACE all pointeback to the OLD owner whithout the ability to see anything.

The report works when accessed from the NEW account on powerbi.com.

Either I'm doing something very wrong while trying to move reports/datasets from OLD account to NEW account, or there is a bug between the Service and PBI Desktop August 2020 release...

Any ideas / suggestions are welcome.

Without a solution, my customer will be forced to keep the OLD account until proper migration is possible...

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

What I would do is to create a new app workspace with the new account.

I would then have the PBIX files of all the reports which need to change.

Next I would open each PBIX when logged into the new account.
Upload the PBIX to the new App workspace.

Then it should be good to go?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thank you for your reply but that is EXACTLY what I did!!!

Even with the latest October 2020 PBI Desktop, I still experience this problem.

What you are suggesting is exactly what I have done, yet everytime I published one of the PBIX while logged into the NEW account, I would get a different behavior depending on whether this was my first attempt to publish the PBIX on the NEW account:

On the 1st publishing, I would only get the Published Successfully Dialog with a link pointing to the Workspace on the OLD account as if it was pubklished in the OLD account.

On all RE-Publish attempt, I would get the warning about the impact on 1 report with a link pointing to the Workspace of the OLD account and after I would confirm I wanted to proceed anyway the Published Successfully Dialog would also provide a link pointing to the Workspace on the OLD account as if it was pubklished in the OLD account.

The other strange thing is that the report did get published in the NEW account, but these links pointing back to the OLD account Workspace worries me that once that OLD account will be removed all the reports will break...

It's as if something inside the PBIX documents and maintains a link to the account it was initially published into, which I would need to remove or change to point to the NEW account.

So one needs 2 Power BI Pro accounts to test this...

Any further help appreciated.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors