Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dineshj
Helper I
Helper I

PowerBi Apps not updating

Hi. I have PowerBI on my desktop. I updated a dashboard and published it on sharepoint workspace online. However, the dashboard that's in two of the apps is not getting updated. It will say it is updated but it's not the latest verson. I have to delete the app and the workspace and recreate them to update the dashboard. 

How can I update the apps?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @dineshj

I ran the test according to your scenario, it works well in my environment.

vxulinmstf_1-1629857437955.pngvxulinmstf_3-1629857533952.png

vxulinmstf_2-1629857458431.pngvxulinmstf_0-1629857280537.png

Please check, are you sharing it with others and then they don't see the updated version?

If you still have some question, please don't hesitate to let me known.‌‌

Best Regards,

Link

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. Really appreciate!

View solution in original post

Hi @dineshj

Is your issue solved?

If the issue has been solved, please adopt the solution to help others.

Best Regards,

Link

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. Really appreciate!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
dineshj
Helper I
Helper I

@v-xulin-mstf I meant when you make minor changes, such as axis range and you update the app, the changes are not reflected in the app. The changes are only seen in the workspace. Even when I upate the app, the updates are not there. I manually have to copy the report over again (just like the initial app setup) to see the changes reflected. 

Hi @dineshj

Is your issue solved?

If the issue has been solved, please adopt the solution to help others.

Best Regards,

Link

Hi @dineshj

I ran the test according to your scenario, it works well in my environment.

vxulinmstf_1-1629857437955.pngvxulinmstf_3-1629857533952.png

vxulinmstf_2-1629857458431.pngvxulinmstf_0-1629857280537.png

Please check, are you sharing it with others and then they don't see the updated version?

Best Regards,

Link

Hi there,

I am project manager of a project involving PowerBI report building and I have been QA'ing the PowerBI reports for quite some time. When ever the PowerBI Developer publish changes to the report, everbody else apart from me can view the changes. I have cleared my history, deleted the app and downloaded a now. Got a new link to the report - but with the same result. I cannot view the changes, are there some kind of cache build into the Edge browser I need to clear?

BR 

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @dineshj ,

please excuse, but just for the proper wording.

Using Power BI Desltop you are creating a report, no matter how "dahboardy it may look like

You publish a report to a workspace.

Whenever you do this you have to update the app:

image.png

image.png

There is also some artifact called dashboard, but this artifact is created inside the Power BI service, Basically, a dashboard points to different visuals from one or more reports inside the same workplace.. Depending on how you created the dashboard and the nature of the changes of the "visual" sources, these changes will be picked up or not, e.g. if you change the visual from column to bar, this change will not be considered if you only update the app.

At the current moment embedding a Power BI Dashboard on a SharePoint Online site is not supported, only the artifact type report is supported.
image.png
You also have to make sure that you create the "Embed in SharePoint" link from the report after this report has been published to the app:

TomMartens_0-1629401406527.png

Hopefully, this provides some new ideas.

Regards,

Tom 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

[before] So, there's no way to republish a report (PBI Desktop to PBI Service) and having the App from the workspace automatically updated?

[today answering myself] No. It's a way to test your report before it's ready for all consumers.

Hi @TomMartens , Thank you for your response! I am not embedding the app or the dashboard. I'm only having my managers view the apps in PowerBI apps. So they can see five different dashboards in one place. 

I am making the changes in powerBI desktop and publishing it in a workspace in Sharepoint. I did update the app like you mentioned but it didn't take the changes into account. I did only some minor updates, like change the Y axis range. 

"if you change the visual from column to bar, this change will not be considered if you only update the app." Why wouldn't it update with this change?? And how can I get it to change?

Anyone know, why the app doesn't update visuals?

Hi @dineshj

Oranginal visual:

vxulinmstf_0-1629703122857.png

Change types:

vxulinmstf_1-1629703188056.png

Upgrade app:

vxulinmstf_3-1629703286540.png

The latest version:

vxulinmstf_2-1629703227070.png

Best Regards,

Link

Hello,

Do you mean we need to update the app each time we publish a report in a workspace ?

That's been my experience, yes.  No idea what in the world the accepted answer in this thread is talking about; in my experience, the real answer is that you need to click "Update app" each time you upload an update to a report that the app includes

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors