Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gjadal
Employee
Employee

Power bi vs custom web site

I am working on a requirement to visualize data that includes metrics , measures, charts etc. 

Power bi seems like a quick and easy way to create charts. But when it comes to showing data in grids  and drill down of data, it falls short. My team is weighing pros and cons of power bi vs a custom site and leaning towards custom site to have full control.

What is the recommendation from power bi in this case? 

3 REPLIES 3
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

@gjadal

Power bi seems like a quick and easy way to create charts. But when it comes to showing data in grids  and drill down of data, it falls short. My team is weighing pros and cons of power bi vs a custom site and leaning towards custom site to have full control.

There are already various of visualizations supported in Power BI and new visualizations will be kept adding. And you can use a custom visualization that you created yourself or that you found in the community gallery.

Drilling down in a visualization is also well supported in Power BI.

What's more, you can submit your feedback on Power BI Ideas if you want some new feature to be supported in future as ankitpatira mentioned above.

So Power BI should be a better choice to allow you and your team to interact with your data to find business insights in this scenario.

Regards

I agree with the features provided by Power BI and my personal opinion is to use Power bi instead of reinventing the wheel.

However, where I fail to convice my team is on the following.

1. Drill down based on a master -detail grids. (Select a row in a grid and display details in another grid

2. Date slicers (I guess we need to create a custom visual for this)

3. A dashboard with multiple pages cannot be filtered across pages at one place. Need to go to report view and set report filters

4. Some controls fail to load randomly hampering the SLA

5. Refresh of data fails randomly again affecting the SLA

6. PBIX report file cannot be worked in parallel by multiple team members.

7. Constant worry about being blocked on something if we go this route.

8. Missing drop down filter selections instead of the checkbox slicers which take up space if the list is long.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@gjadal Power BI also had drill down functionality. It depends on whether you want it the way power bi has it or not. Also power bi has ideas section your any feature improvement or new addition can be submitted and gets decided based on the priority basis.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors