Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Bi Tenant question

Hello  -  Need an expert answer on this (hopefully!)  

We are in the process of being acquired by a larger company.   Our current owner (also a larger company), has a P2 SKU and as far as I know, we are just part of their overall tenant.   I am not a Power Bi adminu currently as we were not given those rights.  

Our new owners only use Power Bi in small way...I think with a few Pro licenses here and there, and maybe some users that create reports in their My Workspace.   But definitely do not use P2 or P1.  

We (our company) is requesting that our new owners provision a P1 SKU for us.   We do not need the P2 capacity...a P1 is sufficient.     Question:    We want to have admin rights for this capacity, but our new owners are concerned about security as well as any effects to current users.     Is there a way to ONLY provision the P1 Capacity for our specific company?   In other words, can the P1 Capacity SKU be purchased by our parent company and only be applied to our company without including the other employees/companies under their umbrella?   Not sure if, in this scenario, we would be considered a tenant or a domain, but we will be a stand alone subsidiary of the new company but operating within the same Microsoft 365 environment as they do.   

1 REPLY 1
v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

To purchase a capacity, you need a tenant in your organization.

How to purchase Power BI Premium - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

In your case, parent company create a new tenant for your company and the user who can purchase the capacity must be in the Microsoft 365 Global Administrator role or Billing Administrator role of this tenant. Then all the users in this tenant can use this premium capacity.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors