Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

DaryaS

Power BI dataset loses decimals when created from dataflow

Hi All,

We load data from Google BigQuery to Power BI dataflow, on top of which a dataset is created.

In the resulting dataset, all the amounts that have decimals are rounded and the decimals are displaying 0s. 

Both in BQ and dataflow the decimals are preserved correctly - they get lost only at the point of the dataset. The datatypes are set to fixed decimal throughout the process.

Example - 

Dataflow:

DaryaS_0-1594023041984.png

Dataset:

(Data tab view)

DaryaS_0-1594031697771.png

(Power Query view)

DaryaS_2-1594032168363.png

Any ideas on what I can try to tweak to get the correct decimals in?

Regards,

Darya

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DaryaS

For now, we fixed the problem in the following way:

> in the dataflow, change a measure column to data type text (so you will see numbers like ##.##000000000)
> reload the dataset
> decimals appear and are correct
> roll the column in the dataflow back to decimal
> refresh the dataset again - decimals are still there

Observation: in step 1, I have changed the data type only for 1 column - but after the refresh, all measures were showing their decimals correctly (even the ones without any changes in data types)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
DaryaS

For now, we fixed the problem in the following way:

> in the dataflow, change a measure column to data type text (so you will see numbers like ##.##000000000)
> reload the dataset
> decimals appear and are correct
> roll the column in the dataflow back to decimal
> refresh the dataset again - decimals are still there

Observation: in step 1, I have changed the data type only for 1 column - but after the refresh, all measures were showing their decimals correctly (even the ones without any changes in data types)

Hippo
Frequent Visitor

This helped me out. I am trying to import data from MS SQL database. Data type for the column in db is float and the amount of decimals can be up to 14. When trying to use the Data Flow to import the data, It cuts down the number of decimals to 3 automatically and changes the data type to decimal as well. 

Using your sorcery helped me to create a workaround for this. Was a bit disappointed that I couldn't just add more decimals in Power Query.

KBO
MVP

Hi @DaryaS ,

I only use Decimal Number as import into my Power Query. After loading I use the modeling tab to configure my column :).

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Hi Kathrin,

On the Modelling tab, the column is also set to decimal number format with 2 decimal places. Unfortunately, that doesn't resolve the issue.

Regards,

Darya

Hi @DaryaS ,

and th datatype in the Dataflow is also Decimal Number because in your picture the datatype is fixed decimal number...?

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Kathrin,

As far as I know, in dataflow there is no option to set fixed decimal as a data type, you can only pick decimal:

DaryaS_0-1594044621676.png

Regards,

Darya

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors