Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

bilesim73usr

Power BI Service SSAS Tabular Model

Dear Colleagues,

The case I encounted is as follows:,

1. I have a very simple report in Power BI Service which connects to a SSAS Tabular Model On-premise using Connect Live

2. Connection is established using an On-premise Gateway and I have created rules to map Power BI service user names to analysis services server user names

3. When I trace the queries submitted by the report in the Power BI Service, I see that <EffectiveUserName> field in the query does contain the username who refreshes the report in Power BI Service, but it contains the local active directory username who is the admin of SSAS tabular model.

4. Since correct local active directory user is not passed to SSAS tabular model, the role defined in the model is not used and the end user visualises all the dfata in the cube.

5. Data, passed to SSAS Tabular Model is as follows:

<PropertyList xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-analysis" xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"><Catalog>OLAPTabularAdventureWorks</Catalog><Timeout>600</Timeout><Format>Native</Format><DbpropMsmdFlattened2>false</DbpropMsmdFlattened2><Cube>Model</Cube><DbpropMsmdOptimizeResponse>9</DbpropMsmdOptimizeResponse><DbpropMsmdActivityID>CCC4C4D7-0BF2-416B-A15E-520D307F4FFC</DbpropMsmdActivityID><DbpropMsmdRequestID>7DFCC70D-DC4E-4207-8687-A80A1A4B5CDE</DbpropMsmdRequestID><DbpropMsmdCurrentActivityID>CCC4C4D7-0BF2-416B-A15E-520D307F4FFC</DbpropMsmdCurrentActivityID><LocaleIdentifier>1033</LocaleIdentifier><EffectiveUserName>XXX\YYY</EffectiveUserName><sspropinitappname>PowerBI</sspropinitappname>

<CustomData>ttt@zzz</CustomData></PropertyList>

XXX: Name of local active directory On-premise

YYY: Local active directory username registered on the On-premise Gateway and admin of SSAS Tabular Model

ttt@zzz: Local active directory UPN of the user who refreshes report in the Power BI Service

Can you please provide some help?

Regards 

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @bilesim73usr 

Can you confirm that when you try the role which the user is a part of they see only their required data?

Also please make sure that the user is not a part of the App Workspace Roles (nuless Viewer) as this could also contribute to the users viewing all the data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors