Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

prashious7
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Report Builder - How to add multiple drillthrough reports options to a single cell

greetings!

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this question. I could not find Report Builder section. Here is what I am trying to build. I have a Main report (Created in PBI Report Builder) and two drillthrough reports (Created in Power BI). I was able to link the Main report and one of the drillthrough reports successfully using Action->URL option in a report cell, but I am not sure how to add the second drillthrough report to the same cell. Something like this - If I click a cell/data point in the Main report, it should show me two PBI drillthrough reports as options and then I select one of them. Is this possible in Report Builder? Any guidance would be very helpful.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prashious7
Frequent Visitor

This is what I did. I created a new prompt with two labels/values - Report1/1 and Report2/2. Then I went back to the Cell Properties->Action where the URL is given. Here added something like this - 

=IIF(Parameters.Name.Value = 1, Report1 URL, Report2 URL)

The Report URLs have all those other parameter that need to be passed to drillthrough reports. When the report is run and Report1 option is selected for the new parameter, the cells will open Report1 when you click on it.

There is a small compromise though. Every time I change the report option, I have to click on "View Report" button again for the the drillthrough action to open the correct report. 

I will update if I find a better solution.

Thanks!

Update with another method - As the requirement is to get to multiple drillthrough reports from the Main report, these reports will have common dimensions. In the Power BI Drillthrough Dataset, I created common dimension tables for both the Datasets and linked each dimension table to the two Datasets. The parameter values from the Main report will be sent to the common dimensions which in turn will filter both the reports in separate tabs at the same time.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prashious7
Frequent Visitor

This is what I did. I created a new prompt with two labels/values - Report1/1 and Report2/2. Then I went back to the Cell Properties->Action where the URL is given. Here added something like this - 

=IIF(Parameters.Name.Value = 1, Report1 URL, Report2 URL)

The Report URLs have all those other parameter that need to be passed to drillthrough reports. When the report is run and Report1 option is selected for the new parameter, the cells will open Report1 when you click on it.

There is a small compromise though. Every time I change the report option, I have to click on "View Report" button again for the the drillthrough action to open the correct report. 

I will update if I find a better solution.

Thanks!

Update with another method - As the requirement is to get to multiple drillthrough reports from the Main report, these reports will have common dimensions. In the Power BI Drillthrough Dataset, I created common dimension tables for both the Datasets and linked each dimension table to the two Datasets. The parameter values from the Main report will be sent to the common dimensions which in turn will filter both the reports in separate tabs at the same time.

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @prashious7 ,

Please refer these documents about drillthrough in report builder:

1. Add a Drillthrough Action on a Report (Report Builder and SSRS) 
  2. Drillthrough Reports (Report Builder and SSRS) 
  3. Tutorial: Creating Drillthrough and Main Reports (Report Builder) 

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors