Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pete_HSINFRA
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Custom Visual

I purchased a licence for a custom visualisation for my Power BI the other day on the Microsoft Appsource website.

After publishing the report to Power BI Server, when I tried to open the report, I received the following message on the custom visualisation:

Pete_HSINFRA_0-1678976774879.png

I am a O365 Global Administrator and Power BI Administrator. Upon looking at the Products we have listed on the O365 Admin Portal, I noticed that the licence for the visualisation is assigned against a Self-Service Account, rather than an Organisational Account. Does this affect whether a product can be displayed in Power BI Server?

I'm not sure how to proceed with this one. The Microsoft Power BI Team haven't been able to help with the ticket I raised and frankly, I'm getting rather frustrated.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

2 REPLIES 2
Pete_HSINFRA
Frequent Visitor

Hi Aniya,

I did manage to get the problem resolved; however, the solution was more by chance rather than endeavour.

What I did find out is that this is really to do with how Microsoft approach 3rd Party Vendor products licencing, as in there are bugs in the process, which was why I wasn't able to utilise the licence correctly.

The Self-Service account and Organisational account types are a bit of a red herring. This really only impacts how the licence can be assigned.

In the end, while in discussiong with the Vendor, we decided to try and cancel the product and re-purchase it. As I clicked the cancel button, suddenly all the status' changed and I could finally see the licence and assign it...... Up until then I could only see the product and not the licence.

The Vendor will be raising a ticket with Microsoft to try and make the purchasing process more user-friendly.

Pete

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @Pete_HSINFRA 

Based on your problem description, I see that your license has already been given, and you also appear to be the developer of the report, so the problem situation you are currently experiencing can basically narrow down to the mismatch between the user you were given the license and the account you logged into Power BI, and I see a sentence in your description "The licence for the visualisation is assigned against a." Self-Service Account, rather than an Organisational Account", if you are convenient, you can refer to this document to determine whether your account logged in to Power BI is a Self-Service Account or an Organisational Account?

Sign up or purchase the Power BI service as an individual - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If it's convenient, you can also try signing up for another Self-Service Account to republish the report, give the custom visual the appropriate license, and then use the free 60-day trial Power BI Pro license to check if the visual is working.

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors