Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

howellchrisj
Frequent Visitor

Partner Process

I was wondering if someone could assist?

• When implementing Power BI in a client’s environment(Office 365) and if we, the partner, were to be the ones who develop the reports and dashboards, would we need to have an email of our own on their Office 365 platform?
    1. Is there a better approach… content pack? To deliver reports/dashboards to a client and allow push updates when needed?
  • If the client doesn’t currently have office 365, we could set them up with an account and purchase Power BI, but for development of the reports and dashboards, would we, as their partner also have to setup an account and purchase a license?

I am trying to get the logistics of what would be need from a partner standpoint to develop Power BI for a client.

I just saw this consultant article that was helpful, but not exactly what I was thinking.  https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/tag/consultants/ 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@howellchrisj What I've done for similar situation is asked our clients to purchase and signup for Power BI using generic email account such as PowerBIAdmin@Organisation.com that they can share that with us (consultant). I have done all client side development and publishing using that account to client's power bi environment and maintained as required for them.

View solution in original post

v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@howellchrisj

For your first question, if the customers are not required to edit the report content, then you may take a look at the Dashboard sharing. This allows to share Dashboard with the people outside your organization. 

Reference: Share a dashboard with colleagues and others.
Specially take a look at the Notes about sharing part.

Content pack are available within the same organization, distribution or security groups, and the Office 365 group you belong to. So one possible approach is considering to build a security group at the customer side, then ask the domain admin to add your account (if allowed )as a member. After that, Create the Content Pack and sharing the result to that security group.

For the account that you are supposed to use, depends on the organization requirements, discuss this part with the customers. 

Reference: Organizational content packs: Introduction

If they don’t have O365 subscription, from your side to setup the Power BI license, would you please share some detailed information on that part? 

If you could setup Power BI for their organization, then please consult with them and see if it is possible to have you a reporter Power BI account available to use.

There are some additional Reference: 

Frequently asked questions about Power BI 

How consultants can work smarter with shared dashboards

Regards

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@howellchrisj

For your first question, if the customers are not required to edit the report content, then you may take a look at the Dashboard sharing. This allows to share Dashboard with the people outside your organization. 

Reference: Share a dashboard with colleagues and others.
Specially take a look at the Notes about sharing part.

Content pack are available within the same organization, distribution or security groups, and the Office 365 group you belong to. So one possible approach is considering to build a security group at the customer side, then ask the domain admin to add your account (if allowed )as a member. After that, Create the Content Pack and sharing the result to that security group.

For the account that you are supposed to use, depends on the organization requirements, discuss this part with the customers. 

Reference: Organizational content packs: Introduction

If they don’t have O365 subscription, from your side to setup the Power BI license, would you please share some detailed information on that part? 

If you could setup Power BI for their organization, then please consult with them and see if it is possible to have you a reporter Power BI account available to use.

There are some additional Reference: 

Frequently asked questions about Power BI 

How consultants can work smarter with shared dashboards

Regards

Charlie Liao

@v-caliao-msft The customer is expecting to be able to edit report content, and I did try the sharing option, but when shared outside the organization, all of the tiles had X's and couldn't connect to the data source.  My DataSets are setup within SQL Server Import using a SQL Query, which I why I suspect it doesn't work, but not entirely sure.
The content pack information helpful and may be able to work, but I will have to review the link below.

As for O365, they don't have it, so what I did was started all of the work on a server of theirs and created a new account that is linked to a distribution list for the client.  This gives me a generic login PowerBIAdmin, but linked to the correct domain and emails are sent to the main contact.  

Again, appreciate all of the feedback and help.  From everyone!!

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@howellchrisj What I've done for similar situation is asked our clients to purchase and signup for Power BI using generic email account such as PowerBIAdmin@Organisation.com that they can share that with us (consultant). I have done all client side development and publishing using that account to client's power bi environment and maintained as required for them.

Thank you for the information, this is the approach I have started to go with and seems to be working.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors