Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cairmor
Helper I
Helper I

PDF or PowerPoint export from PBI service ignores filters

Service Bug:
When Opening a report from the Power BI service, Users can interact with the filter bar and filter their report.
If the report is then exported to PDF or Powerpoint, the filtered state of the report is ignored.

Is this a broken component or are there specific reasons why a PDF can't represent the filtered state  of a Power BI Report ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cairmor ,

The fix has been deployed, please have a try now.

If not, please provide more details.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cairmor ,

Go to 'Add or Remove Programs' then search for Webview and click on Modify. Then select the option to 'Repair' and it will update it to the latest version. Version 118.0.2088.76 fixed it for me and my colleagues. Note that you will need admin rights to install the latest version.

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

cairmor
Helper I
Helper I

The defect is in the Power BI service environment, not PowerBI desktop.  Make sure your admins have the recent updates.  Im don't think PowerBI Desktop version is very important.

anuragbishnoi

This feature is still not working for me. I have checked / unchecked the persistent feature. 

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cairmor ,

The fix has been deployed, please have a try now.

If not, please provide more details.

Best Regards

Seems ok, even with URL query filters. I am still working through different use case for testing as the Chiclet hack is not in play anymore on my content (I removed it) but reports w/ URL query filters are working as expected on export.

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cairmor ,

Have submitted this issue internal to confirm, would update here as soon as possible if there is any update about it.

Best Regards

Great thanks for submitting issue.  Here is more information on 2 undesired events:

Around October 4th/5th  the defect occurred over night.
1.  Reports without Persitant Filters settings to "on" no longer had valid exports to PDF.
Filter Bar options could be selected.  On screen, the report is in perfect state, but export to PPT/PDF will revert report to a "default" view.  The default view is tied to when the dev Published to the workspace.
Workaround is to force devs to open every single PBIX file in existence and select the Persistant filter ?

2. We have several reports that open in the server via URL Query Filter string.  We like the feature to open PBIX with defined values in a URL Query Filter String.  Everyone is already aware that in the documentation for Query Filter Strings, a statement is seen that PDF exports are not supported. (this doesn't make sense anyway).  In another post on this forum, myself and another individual found a way to use the Chiclet  visual.  The Chiclet visual has a "Forced Selection" option that will push its filter, passed from the URL Query Filter, into all the other pages.  The outcome of this method is that the export will retain Filter Values in PDF/PPT.  This method worked for us for 2-3 years and was stable.  This method was disabled overnight Oct 4th along with the issue described in #1.

Clearly a RELIABLE software development fix needs to addresses the PBIX to PDF/PPPT export workflow in both scenarios described above.  PDF/PPT versions of PBIX files are a great asset in organizations.  There have been several hacky solutions suggested over the last 4 years.  Please do something that makes sense.

ashley_z

Turning off the "persistent filter" setting on the affected report worked for us today.  

literally just came on here to say that hahahha. yup that is what worked for us as well. toggle off filter

rk239911_0-1696968358812.png

rk239911_1-1696968369304.png

For me it is still not working. 

I havent tick in the box.

anuragbishnoi_0-1698668918164.png

Is there any version upgrade issue. 

my current version is Version: 2.116.622.0 64-bit (April 2023)

I can confirm, in our environment that setting the Persistent filter in such a way will result in a good export for PDF (with retained filter value).

I can also confirm that in companies with 500+ published reports in production, no one wants to open each report, as this is a local setting in PBI Desktop Options.  On October 4th or 5th, the defect suddently appeared.

In additional Persistent filters won't have an impact either way on the PDF export.... for reports opened via Query Filter URL

For me it is still not working. 

I havent tick in the box.

anuragbishnoi_0-1698668918164.png

Is there any version upgrade issue. 

my current version is Version: 2.116.622.0 64-bit (April 2023)

One more comment on this issue - if there were any subscriptions tied to these reports prior, it looks like even toggling off did not fix the already existing subscriptions and they may have to be recreated - I see that a ticket was submitted by a community member. Hopefully there is a better solution that toggling that button

rk239911
Frequent Visitor

Just started experiencing the same issue this afternoon - all subscriptions/pdf exports were working as expected until around noon today - A solution would be much appreciated as soon as possible

cairmor
Helper I
Helper I

Hi, 
The first posted links are quite outdated, from 2019 blogs.
The last link "Solved:...." Is not solved as read in the link itself.

We can clearly open a report, use any filter, Export..to either (PDF OR PPT) and prove the report is ignoring any filter selection.  The lack of consistent export support seems to have caused issues for several PBI files and it looks like several different awkward workarounds are suggested.  Im looking for the current workaround to this broken functionality.  

Hi, I am experiencing the same issue on a report that was exporting fine a week or two ago.  No changes have been made to the report.  When we try to export, the filter is removed.  

Martin_D
Super User
Super User

These are the steps for export with filters from web UI are these: End-User Filtered Export capabilities now available | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

These are the steps for export with filters from email subscription: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/end-user-subscribe?tabs=creator#include...

Is there currently a bug that this is not working? We already had that in the past. Solved: Export to PDF not Respecting Filters Selection App... - Microsoft Fabric Community Then all you can do is hope for a fix from Microsoft. Bug reports go here: https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/support 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors