Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Newbieto_PBI
Frequent Visitor

PBIX used for hundreds of datasets

Hi all,

I have an issue and hopefully you can give me some fresh thoughts.

I have developed a pbix with a model in the backend that has as input some .txt files and an excel file that describe some facts for an entity. The pbix is actually a template so if you change the input files with other files (that have the same structure) you will have the same facts for a new entity.

Currently I have the following process:
- the files are uploaded in an online location
- i download locally the files and load the files in my pbix
- after loading, i publish the data to the powerbi service as a new report

I can achieve the actions described above, using some flows and power automate that mimic the human actions.

And now, saying that i want to use my template as a 'Software-As-A-Service', what will be the most efficient way so that i can use my pbix for hundreds of datasets without handing over the pbix. Is there a more smarter way so that i can use my pbix for hundreds of datasets? 

Many thanks in advance for any replies and ideas.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No. Power BI Desktop, by design, has no security. It is a development tool and it is not meant to be shared with end users. There is no M code protection, or any way to lock it down. If they have the PBIX, they can do anything they want. You might notice PBIX files cannot even be password protected. If you want security, you must publish and rely on roles and workspace security in the service.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Newbieto_PBI
Frequent Visitor

I need the .pbix to stay in my administration.

Other users only to give a new input (not in Power BI Desktop) and see the report (as a new report) in the Power BI Service.

Then they access the model you publish. Not your PBIX.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

I want them to have the ability to publish, without having access to the pbix. 

I am not understanding. To me, you are saying "I want them to drive the car, but they cannot have access to the car."

No... i am saying that if you want to drive the car you dont need to look unde the hood.

No. Power BI Desktop, by design, has no security. It is a development tool and it is not meant to be shared with end users. There is no M code protection, or any way to lock it down. If they have the PBIX, they can do anything they want. You might notice PBIX files cannot even be password protected. If you want security, you must publish and rely on roles and workspace security in the service.

edhans
Super User
Super User

Other reports can use your published dataset using a Live Connection (Connect to Power BI Dataset) from Power BI.

But it kinda sounds like you want to share your PBIX without sharing your PBIX, so you'll need to be more clear.

How to get good help fast. Help us help you.

How To Ask A Technical Question If you Really Want An Answer

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Give us a good and concise explanation
How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - Provide data in a table format per the link, or share an Excel/CSV file via OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.. Provide expected output using a screenshot of Excel or other image. Do not provide a screenshot of the source data. I cannot paste an image into Power BI tables.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors