Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

smpa01
Super User
Super User

Overwriting incremental refresh

I have inherited a dataset (semantic model) which has incremental refresh baked in. Hence, it is not downloadbale and I don't have access to the local pbix.

One of the tables have a refresh policy as 7 days and the data source it relied upon went rougue. I have fixed the dataset and I want to run a full refresh on that table for all partitions so that all up-2-date data get ingested in all the partitions (currently the partitions contain rogue and stale data) and then go back to the exisitng refresh policy (7 days).

I have access to SSMS and Tabular Editor 2.19.

@GilbertQ @bcdobbs @AlexisOlson 

does this ensure full refresh of sales beyond baked-in IR policy?

smpa01_0-1701287300561.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Proud to be a Super User!
My custom visualization projects
Plotting Live Sound: Viz1
Beautiful News:Viz1, Viz2, Viz3
Visual Capitalist: Working Hrs
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes a full refresh ignores the refresh policy. You have to pass a use refresh policy parameter if you want to respect it.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @smpa01 

I would suggest doing a process full on the entire database. This will make sure that all other tables also get all the latest data (there could be other tables which might be missing some data)

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ  thanks !!! my Q is does "process full" of the entire database ensure ingesting data to the sales table ( as well as to the other tables) despite currently having a incremental refresh policy of 7 days? My worry is whether the one time "process full" is still subject to existing 7 days IR policy. In that case, even doing process full will only correctly ingest last 7days and not prior to that.

Yes a full refresh ignores the refresh policy. You have to pass a use refresh policy parameter if you want to respect it.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

@bcdobbs I can confirm it works.  Now, I have done it, I am currently worrying whther it would still reinstate the incremental refresh policy. 😂

I want he business to be usual (IR as usual) unless I decide to perfrom a FR and once a FR is done does it go back to IR?

Also, what do you mean by You have to pass a use refresh policy parameter if you want to respect it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors