Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dd8zc
Helper I
Helper I

Optimizing Dataset Index (for RLS)

Is there any way to optimize or tweak indexes of a dataset? We want to tune it a bit for faster performance with RLS.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

No, not like you can with an index for a table in a relational database. There are best practices for creating optimal fields to filter on. For example, using RLS to filter based on integers will be a little faster than text, but much better than large text fields, like GUIDs or anything over 20chars or so, because of the large data dictionaries produced.

Having a good star schema with narrow fact tables help too. Better compression, faster speed. To really dig in, chatpers 17 & 18 of the Definitive Guide to DAX will explain how the vertipaq enigine works, and what works well and what doesn't. So you won't optimize for RLS specifically, you will optimize the overall model, and RLS performance will benefit

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
edhans
Super User
Super User

No, not like you can with an index for a table in a relational database. There are best practices for creating optimal fields to filter on. For example, using RLS to filter based on integers will be a little faster than text, but much better than large text fields, like GUIDs or anything over 20chars or so, because of the large data dictionaries produced.

Having a good star schema with narrow fact tables help too. Better compression, faster speed. To really dig in, chatpers 17 & 18 of the Definitive Guide to DAX will explain how the vertipaq enigine works, and what works well and what doesn't. So you won't optimize for RLS specifically, you will optimize the overall model, and RLS performance will benefit

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors