Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mesbah
Frequent Visitor

ODBC is not connecting or refreshing in power BI Online but works in desktop

Hello, 

I have power BI report on online which was working well. This reports has two data sources one is obdc and another one is web. Few days ago I had to change my password, since then my power BI is not working. I changed my credential with my password but did not work. It shows me following error, but it worked in my BI desktop,

Data source error: {"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","parameters":{},"details":[{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorCode","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorMessage","detail":{"type":1,"value":"ODBC: ERROR [HYC00] [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]Optional feature not implemented.\r\nERROR [HY000] [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]Access denied(Authorisation failed)\r\nERROR [IM006] [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed.\r\nERROR [HYC00] [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]Optional feature not implemented.\r\nERROR [HY000] [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]Access denied(Authorisation failed)\r\nERROR [IM006] [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed."}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourceKind","detail":{"type":1,"value":"Odbc"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourcePath","detail":{"type":1,"value":"dsn=Progress DB"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.OdbcErrors","detail":{"type":1,"value":"#table({\"SQLState\", \"NativeError\", \"Message\"}, {})"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason","detail":{"type":1,"value":"DataSource.Error"}}],"exceptionCulprit":1}}} Table: Sales Order Lines.
Cluster URI: WABI-US-CENTRAL-A-PRIMARY-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: f21aa6fe-96bd-4897-a4f6-c0239f7fae65
Request ID: b3e34554-fb0d-d872-a9a7-c16304738180
Time: 2023-10-09 13:16:35Z

To solve this problem I created another one premissed data gatewasys and set a new connections with new credential. But is still not working. Could you please suggest me on this? 

5 REPLIES 5
mesbah
Frequent Visitor

@pmreis Thanks for your reponse. When I used my credential for data connection it shows status is online. see the snapshot. 

mesbah_0-1696949481843.png

Hi

The screenshot shows that the Connection is online, was it already after testing again your credentials?

Ex: in the bellow example, you see this case doesn't work as it has the wrong credentials.

pmreis_0-1696956745080.png

Pedro Reis - Data Platform MVP / MCT
Making Power BI and Fabric Simple

If my response resolved your issue, please mark it as a solution to help others find it. If you found it helpful, please consider giving it a kudos. Your feedback is highly appreciated!

Find me at LinkedIn
mesbah
Frequent Visitor

I understand. When I did skip test connection that time it works. But when I tried with test connection it shows me credential is not approved as like your screen shot.

@mesbah , this means the source of the problem is identified. Next steps:

1. Check the ODBC installation:

• Ensure that the ODBC configuration on the server is similar to your desktop configuration.
  2. Check Database Permissions:

• Even if your credentials are correct, the database user might not have the necessary permissions when accessed from the gateway machine. Check with your database administrator to ensure that the user has the right permissions when connecting from the gateway's IP address.
  3. Check Network Issues:
    • The machine where the gateway is installed might have network restrictions or firewall rules that prevent it from accessing the data source. Check the network settings and firewall rules.

There are some of possible causes for your inability to connect to the data source with your credentials. Let me know if you are now able to identify.

If my response resolved your issue, please mark it as a solution to help others find it. If you found it helpful, please consider giving it a kudos. Your feedback is highly appreciated!

Find me at LinkedIn
pmreis
Super User
Super User

Hi @mesbah 

As it's working on desktop, the ODBC DSN configuration on your machine should be fine.

Have you validated the credentials stored in Power BI Service for the dataset's data source gateway connection? When you update and click on Test with your new password, does it work?

Although a coincidence with your password change, the error message indicates an issue with the "Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver". Ensure that the driver is correctly installed in the Gateway and is the latest version.

Find me at LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors