Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

SLehmann

No gerneal notfication whithin the service when using browser

Hi Team,

when we add a comment to a report, there is no general notification on the bell icon on the top bar.

You have to open the report and then you can see a little button with a count of comments.

But the user will not be informed about it at the service.

In contrast, when you use the mobile app you'll get a general notification via push message and the bell icon is highlighted.

It would be better to have a notification in both scenarios, when you use the browser or the mobile app.

Is it works as designed or is it a bug?

Best regards

Sebastian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @SLehmann ,

This is working as designed.

The design for comments for the service is this (if you want notifications sent out):

Whether you're creating a dashboard, report, tile, or visual comment, grab your colleagues' attention by using the "@" symbol. When you type the "@" symbol, Power BI opens a dropdown where you can search for and select individuals from your organization. Any verified name prefaced with the "@" symbol, appears in blue font. The @mentioned individuals will immediately receive an e-mail in their inbox, and if they are using a Power BI Mobile app, they will receive a push notification on their device. They can open the comment directly from the notification, view the data, and reply accordingly.

So, unless a person is mentioned specifically in the Service, there is no direct way to tell others there is a comment.

That said, you could probably create a data alert or API taht would notify you based on comments existing or not.  I have not tried that and there would be a step or two to get that to work right, but I bet that would work for notifications.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @SLehmann ,

This is working as designed.

The design for comments for the service is this (if you want notifications sent out):

Whether you're creating a dashboard, report, tile, or visual comment, grab your colleagues' attention by using the "@" symbol. When you type the "@" symbol, Power BI opens a dropdown where you can search for and select individuals from your organization. Any verified name prefaced with the "@" symbol, appears in blue font. The @mentioned individuals will immediately receive an e-mail in their inbox, and if they are using a Power BI Mobile app, they will receive a push notification on their device. They can open the comment directly from the notification, view the data, and reply accordingly.

So, unless a person is mentioned specifically in the Service, there is no direct way to tell others there is a comment.

That said, you could probably create a data alert or API taht would notify you based on comments existing or not.  I have not tried that and there would be a step or two to get that to work right, but I bet that would work for notifications.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors