Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dataflow Accessing a Sharepoint Folder with an xlsx

I am creating a dataflow and I have a sharepoint folder with an xlsx in it (We made a Teams area)

I have copied the Sharepoint Link

https://testsite.sharepoint.com/sites/ExampleTeamsFoldername/Shared%20Documents/General

And I have attempted to use it in the data flow.

SharepointFolderNoGateway.png

I have asked our admin about this and "it reads as though data sources in SharePoint Online locations don’t need to be added to the enterprise gateway…?" So we initially thought it didnt need a Gateway.

Attempting to go with this gets the following error

ErrorNoGateway.JPG

Sharepoint Request Failed. The remote Server returned an error (400) Bad request

So then I tried to use the Gateway

ErrorWithGateway.png

I dont think this is a data source on the Gateway. So before continuing, should this be a data source on the Gateway or and I doing this incorrectly?

Thanks in advance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @DebbieE,

I'd like to suggest you use an excel connector with an excel URL to get data on dataflow.

https://testsite.sharepoint.com/sites/ExampleTeamsFoldername/Shared%20Documents/General/test.xlsx

Reference link:

Use OneDrive for Business links in Power BI Desktop 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

I also got around it by doing it in Desktop.

Then in Service creating a blank query and pasting the M Code into this query. Then it worked

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You shouldn't need to use a gateway if you're using SharePoint online... If your company is using SharePoint server on-prem, then it will need to go through the gateway. 
I have several dataflows connecting to sharepoint lists and folders, and have received the error a couple of times, I usually just need to edit the credentials and make sure that I'm signed in.

Hope that helps!

Kim

my credentials are fine. 

When I log in Via Desktop with the Sharepoint Folder I get no issues.

When I do the same thing in Service I get the error

badRequest.JPG

Hi @DebbieE,

I'd like to suggest you use an excel connector with an excel URL to get data on dataflow.

https://testsite.sharepoint.com/sites/ExampleTeamsFoldername/Shared%20Documents/General/test.xlsx

Reference link:

Use OneDrive for Business links in Power BI Desktop 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I also got around it by doing it in Desktop.

Then in Service creating a blank query and pasting the M Code into this query. Then it worked

Hello Debbie E, 

I think i'm having the same issue of remote server returning an error. 
I was already pasting the advanced editor in my dataflow advanced editor and over there it works i can see and transform the data in the Query of the dataFlow, then when i close de dataflow and set the refresh, the refresh last something like 40min and fail for this message: remote server returning error 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors