Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

VijayanandN

Need help!....Accessing a data source file of Power BI dashboard

Hi
I am using Power BI at work. A Power BI dashboard was created by an user and now I got control over the dashboard. However, the source data excel file for Power BI dashboard is still not accessible and it is routing to the system where other user works. Due to this, I am unable to make changes to Power BI dashboard as source data file is unavailable in my system.  We tried sharing the file by email, Teams, Sharepoint, yet when I make changes to data , it is not reflecting on the dashboard. We observed that the user who created dashboard, when he made changes to data in his system, the changes were reflecting. 

I am wondering how we could resolve this issue as I cannot keep bugging my colleague to make changes in the file to refelct on Power BI dashboard.

Any suggestion on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

1 REPLY 1
JoeBarry
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @VijayanandN 

It seems that you are working on a copy of the data, that's why the changes are not showing.

I would start a new.

• Save the Excel on a Shared SharePoint Site online
  • When you do this, open the Excel online from SharePoint and then choose open in Desktop App
  • In Excel desktop, click on file
  • You will see the last opened Excel files, locate the currently opened file
  • Right click on this file and copy the path
  • Open the Web connector in Power Bi desktop
  • Paste the URL path into the field and remove the ?web=1 part of the URL and press ok
  • The file will load into Power BI

I presume that there are transformations made in the original query, so we need to now just to change the source of teh original query. 

If there are no transformations made to the original Excel, please do the following

• In the new query open Advanced Editor and copy all
  • in the old query open Advanced Editor and highlight all and replace with the query from the new query and press ok.

If there are transformations

• Copy the Source part of the new query should look like this 

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(Web.Contents("https://yourcompany.sharepoint.com/sites/BI/Doucuments/.xlsx"), null, true),​

• Open the old query and replace the source line with the copied line.

hope this helps

Kind regards

Joe

If this post helps, then please Accept it as the solution

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors