Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RobinNeven
Helper I
Helper I

Migrate AAS model on Snowflake through ODBC to Power BI Premium with native Snowflake connector

Hi,

I have a question: we're trying to migrate AAS models, connecting to Snowflake through ODBC, to Power BI Premium, connecting through the native Snowflake connector (instead of ODBC). How do I do this?

I keep running into issues due to the different versions of Analysis Services not being the same (e.g. AAS not having the native Snowflake connector) and also Tabular Editor not being very supportive of Power Query data sources (like the native Snowflake connector). So does anyone know a solution to this?

I tried migrating AAS model (1500 compatibility level) as-is (so with the ODBC connection kept in place) from AAS to Power BI Premium using Tabular Editor as described in this article:

https://www.bluegranite.com/blog/migrating-azure-analysis-services-models-to-pbi-premium

The problem here was that the 'Data source credentials' section in the Dataset settings stay greyed out, probably due to the way On-premises Data Gateways are setup at my company (no need for gateways using the native Snowflake connector is what I'm thinking here). This problem persisted even after converting the data source of 'Structured' type to 'Provider' type and setting Default Power BI Data Source version to 'PowerBI_V3'.

So that's why I'm thinking I really have to convert this ODBC Snowflake connection to the Power BI/Power Query native Snowflake connector, but how?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

2 REPLIES 2
RobinNeven
Helper I
Helper I

Hi Liu, thanks for your reply!

Yeah I found out the issue is in the fact that our gateway is setup in West Europe, which is not the default environment where our Power BI Premium capacity runs in (default environment is North Europe). And that's why Power BI can't use the gateway to refresh the data (I think).

So that's why I asked my original question: how to transform this ODBC connection to the native Snowflake connector, so we don't have to use a gateway in the first place? Do you have a solution for that?

Regards,

Robin

v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @RobinNeven ,

When the data source does not have a gateway, the "Data Source Credentials" will be grayed out. You need to install a gateway to connect to the data source. You can use this link to connect using the advanced editor in Power Query:

https://docs.microsoft.com/zh-cn/powerquery-m/odbc-datasource

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors