Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jkury

Memory error: Memory Allocation failure

Hello,

I'm using Power BI for a few months now. With a Pro account, I published and shared a report in a workspace. I use a gateway to refresh data automatically 8 times a day.

I hadn't any issue from the beggining, but since last week, the gateway can't refresh data, because of a "Memory error : Memory Allocation failure. Try simplifying or reducing the number of queries." The manual refresh doesn't work either.

Memory error - Planification - Copie.png

I tried to refresh data from Power BI Desktop, but my PC had frozen during 2 hours, and after that, the same issue appeared : "The memory is insufficient to complete this operation".

Memory error - Refresh.png

I have a main table with 15 columns imported from my SQL Database, and 18 calculated columns (some LOOKUPVALUE, CALCULATE and FILTER functions) for 15'000 rows. It's joined to 4 others tables. Each of it has 2 columns for just a few rows. I don't think it's a lot of data.

I saw a lot of topics about this error, but I didn't see any solution to my case.
I can't remove any column, because I need all of it for my report.

My pbix file's size is 4 Mo and my group storage is 2 MB of 10 GB. In Options, my data cache is under 4 Mo.

I really don't understand why I have this error.

In Power BI Desktop, I added a query to keep only the last 10'000 rows for the refresh to limit the data's quantity, and the refresh (manual and automatic) work again . But I would like all my data for my analyzes.

Do you have an explanation for this memory's problem ?
Is there a limit of data, rows, calculation or something else for a report ?

3 REPLIES 3
jairoaol
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I had the same error but for DAX tables calculated with many records as a result.

I improved the table with filters and fewer columns and it synchronizes me without problems

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@jkury ,

Please refer to doc below:

https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/power-query-specifications-and-limits-5fb2807c-1b16-4257-aa...

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

Thank you for you answer. It's interesting, but it doesn't solve my problem.

The only information that could concerning me is "Maximum number of rows filled to worksheet : 1,048,576", but I'm far away of this value. so I don't think this is a limit of rows for a refresh, that is my problem I guess.

The error message is "Memory error : Memory Allocation failure. Try simplifying or reducing the number of queries". Is it possible to see queries sent to the server ? I could see if my queries are really too complex, or where is the problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors