Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HarryBailey
Helper II
Helper II

Managing Permissions - Report vs. Dataset + Links

Hi all,

I am having a hard time understanding the functionality of sharing reports after the new service update. I would like to understand the following please:

I have been using the "Manage Permissions" button on reports and datasets and my questions are the following:

• Does a user need access to the Report AND Dataset to view a report?
  • If a user only needs access to the report - what would be the reason to grant access to a dataset?
  • The majority of my sharing will be to users who are just consumers, they wont need to make anything themselves - so what is best practise?
  • Last, if I share via my own email with the "Copy Link" functionality, the setting is that "anyone with the link in your organisation can view". Therefore, if I sent this link to a select group of people and one forwarded it on to somebody else. Would this person then have full access despite me not sending it to them?

Overall really, I just want to know the best practise for ensuring I give the right permission to consumers and it not get to anybody I dont want it to

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

a user needs access to the dataset (read permission) and to the report/content..

The best practice for sharing content with consumers (who do not need to build their own reports) is creating an App: Ways to collaborate and share in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Add the users or groups inside the permission pane

image.png

Even more essential is disabling sharing options.

You can prevent re-sharing on artifact-based sharing by setting the options properly:

image.png

But, you have to be aware that the recommended way to share content via an app and not via artifact-based sharing.

Hopefully, this helps in better understanding sharing options.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

a user needs access to the dataset (read permission) and to the report/content..

The best practice for sharing content with consumers (who do not need to build their own reports) is creating an App: Ways to collaborate and share in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Add the users or groups inside the permission pane

image.png

Even more essential is disabling sharing options.

You can prevent re-sharing on artifact-based sharing by setting the options properly:

image.png

But, you have to be aware that the recommended way to share content via an app and not via artifact-based sharing.

Hopefully, this helps in better understanding sharing options.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors