Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

CCordeiro

Licensing scenario

Dear Power BI Community,

I need help understanding the ideal licensing for this scenario.

Let's assume that I will provide reports for a company - they will have 3 editing users + 7 viewer users of my reports. Then, those reports will be filtered and shared with 3rd party companies so they can see their own information, but cannot see other companies' info. All users on these 3rd party companies are just viewers.

If I have a Pro license and the 3 editors of such a company also have Pro users, will this scenario work properly? Attached picture for reference of this scenario.

Thanks for your insights.

example.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yup, in all your scenarios, everybody will need Pro license. The only time, the viewers wont need a Pro license would be if the workspace is on a Premium Capacity ( not even Premium-Per-User, must be Premium Capacity).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Tutu_in_YYC
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hey, it will work. But all the viewers are going to need Pro License too. 

The 3rd party company viewers should not be in the workspace though, as they will see all data unless you have row-level-security set up. 

Many thanks @Tutu_in_YYC for your prompt reply.

So, let's say the company decides to manage the whole system. They will create a workspace where myself + their 3 editors has full rights (all of us with Pro). Their 7 viewers can still be on Free or must be Pro?

For the 3rd party companies, they will create separate workspaces for each company - in this way the users/viewers on those companies still need Pro?

Yup, in all your scenarios, everybody will need Pro license. The only time, the viewers wont need a Pro license would be if the workspace is on a Premium Capacity ( not even Premium-Per-User, must be Premium Capacity).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Sept PBI Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - September 2024

Check out the September 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

September Hackathon Carousel

Microsoft Fabric & AI Learning Hackathon

Learn from experts, get hands-on experience, and win awesome prizes.

Sept NL Carousel

Fabric Community Update - September 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors