Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MacJasem
Helper II
Helper II

Issues with Adding external users to a workspace/app

Hi guys 

I've got a powerbi setup for company A (CompanyA.com tenant), and i've got no problems with adding users to those powerbi reports as long as they are have a mail ending in CompanyA.com, but i need to add users from another sister company (CompanyX.com) and whenever i type in users from this company i wish to add, i can't.

What am i missing and what might the solution be?

MacJasem_0-1686044846815.png

5 REPLIES 5
MacJasem
Helper II
Helper II

Is there a requirement that sharing with external users has to be enabled in powerbi destop and then republished to the service again? 

In that case where can i enable such sharing, because i'v already scouted it and there's nothing that i can see that enables external sharing there that i haven't already checked off.

pratyashasamal
Super User
Super User

Hi @MacJasem ,
Make sure you enable the Invite external users to your organization feature in the Power BI admin portal before inviting guest users. Even when this option is enabled, the user must be granted the Guest Inviter role in Azure Active Directory to invite guest users.
You can read more in the link below:-
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b

Thanks,
Pratyasha Samal
Has this post solved your problem? Please Accept as Solution so that others can find it quickly and to let the community know your problem has been solved.
If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos C

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @pratyashasamal 

I've already enabled the invite external users to organisation feature. 

I even created a AD security group, invited the guest user to the group and then added the group as users with access to the workspace/app. But still i'm not getting through..

Hi @MacJasem ,

The Show Azure Active Directory guests in lists of suggested people setting helps organizations limit visibility of external users in sharing experiences. When disabled, Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) guest users are not shown in people picker suggested users lists. This helps prevent accidental sharing to external users and seeing which external users have been added to your organization through Power BI sharing UIs.

Important

When the setting is set to disabled, you can still give permission to a guest user by providing their full email address in people pickers.

To turn this setting on or off:

1. Still in the Export and sharing settings section of the Tenant Settings, find the setting called Show Azure Active Directory guests in lists of suggested people.
  2. Turn the switch on if you want to show guests a suggested list of users, or turn the switch off you don't want guests to see this list.
  3. Under Apply to, select the scope of users that the setting will affect:
    1. Choose The entire organization or Specific security groups. In addition, you can also choose one of the options check the box next to Except specific security groups and then add the security groups you wish to exclude.

Select Apply to save your changes.
Thanks,
Pratyasha Samal
Has this post solved your problem? Please Accept as Solution so that others can find it quickly and to let the community know your problem has been solved.
If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos C

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Just to get an idea, when i wish to ebable the sharing with external users, i get this message:

"This dataset is not supported currently for sharing externally with people in other organizations. Live connection datasets, datasets in MyWorkspace, V1 Workspaces, or Admin Insights Workspaces cannot be shared externally." 

Can you explain?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors