Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JackTPickle
Frequent Visitor

Is it possible to throttle certain workspaces in a capacity

Hi All,

We have recently started to get overages on our premium capacity (autoscale is enabled).  Looking at the capacity metrics report we have a number of Dev and Test workspaces which are consuming a significent amount of resource.  Is it possible to limit the amount of resources certain workspaces could use?  I.e. Can we group all Dev and Test workspaces and allow them only 50% of the resources available on the capacity?  Or, can individulal workspaces be throttled somehow?

Many thanks in anticipation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I don't think there is something like that. You could build an approach if you split your capacity. For example if you have a P2. You could have two P1 (one for production with auto scale and another for Dev or Test without auto scale). That should work. However if you have a P1 or F64, it might be difficul to reduce to two F32 because you can loose features.

An alternative that might help is considering scale out for some environments. You can read about it here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-premium-scale-out

Consider that the best way of keeping the capacity sane is preventive actions, like good practices or rules for users to keep limits of what they can do.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JackTPickle
Frequent Visitor

That's really helpful. thank you very much.

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I don't think there is something like that. You could build an approach if you split your capacity. For example if you have a P2. You could have two P1 (one for production with auto scale and another for Dev or Test without auto scale). That should work. However if you have a P1 or F64, it might be difficul to reduce to two F32 because you can loose features.

An alternative that might help is considering scale out for some environments. You can read about it here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-premium-scale-out

Consider that the best way of keeping the capacity sane is preventive actions, like good practices or rules for users to keep limits of what they can do.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors