Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Damola
Helper I
Helper I

Inability to see the download option in Power BI service

Hello,

I am unable to find the download under the file option in Power BI service.  I have the latest Power Desktop version.

I would appreciate if you could provide your thoughts.

Thanks,

Damola

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Damola 

There are several reasons PBIX download might be greyed out, see Download a report from the Power BI service to Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Basically it needs to be published through Power BI Desktop, or created in Service from a Dataset in the same workspace. But there are a few other things that will stop downloading..

• This feature won't work with reports and the built-in downloadable samples originally created in the Power BI service, unless the report was created through the quick create experience.

• If your administrator has turned off the ability to download data, this feature won't be visible in the Power BI service.

• Datasets with incremental refresh can't be downloaded to a PBIX file.

• Datasets enabled for large models and the reports created from these datasets can't be downloaded to a PBIX file.

• Downloading a PBIX file after deployment isn't supported as part of the deployment pipeline (ALM).

• Usage metric reports can't be downloaded to a PBIX file.

• Datasets modified by using the XMLA endpoint can't be downloaded to a PBIX file.

• If you create a Power BI report based on a dataset in one workspace and publish to a different workspace, you and your users won't be able to download it. The download feature is not supported in this scenario.

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Damola ,

Besides, there are two more points to note:

• To download the file, you must have edit access to the report.
  • Reports must be published or updated after November 23, 2016. Reports published earlier aren't downloadable.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Damola
Helper I
Helper I

I can now see the download option. Thanks to everyone that responded.

v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Damola ,

Besides, there are two more points to note:

• To download the file, you must have edit access to the report.
  • Reports must be published or updated after November 23, 2016. Reports published earlier aren't downloadable.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks🙂

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Damola 

There are several reasons PBIX download might be greyed out, see Download a report from the Power BI service to Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Basically it needs to be published through Power BI Desktop, or created in Service from a Dataset in the same workspace. But there are a few other things that will stop downloading..

• This feature won't work with reports and the built-in downloadable samples originally created in the Power BI service, unless the report was created through the quick create experience.

• If your administrator has turned off the ability to download data, this feature won't be visible in the Power BI service.

• Datasets with incremental refresh can't be downloaded to a PBIX file.

• Datasets enabled for large models and the reports created from these datasets can't be downloaded to a PBIX file.

• Downloading a PBIX file after deployment isn't supported as part of the deployment pipeline (ALM).

• Usage metric reports can't be downloaded to a PBIX file.

• Datasets modified by using the XMLA endpoint can't be downloaded to a PBIX file.

• If you create a Power BI report based on a dataset in one workspace and publish to a different workspace, you and your users won't be able to download it. The download feature is not supported in this scenario.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Thanks for this as it helped me figure it out. My situation is the deployment pipeline item. I read the link about it, but it doesn't say why this isn't possible, just that it can't. Any idea why we can't download a report that's in the Production workspace? 

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Damola 

There is a "Download Report" property for this under "Tenent Settings" in Power BI Admin panel. Pls make sure it is enabled for you.

Thanks
Raj

Thanks@rajendran.

I think my manager has done that but I still can't find the download option. I will keep trying.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors