Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

AndreaLee1212
Helper I
Helper I

How to organize data in a Organization

Hi everyone,

I need a little help on best practices for this topic as I'm new on PBI and didn't stablish a PBI solution on an entire organization. 

• Is it a good practice to have only one tenant for the entire organization or more than one?
  • For diferent environments should I create 3 workspaces ( deployment pipelines) for each department on the company ? Like sales (3 workspaces) , HR ( another 3 workspaces ) and so on? 
  • What about if the organization is using a shared dataset should that be alocated in a specific workspace, isolated from the others so that the different departments can pick that dataset   ? What is the best practice for shared datasets?
  • And let's say that there is an SSBI team and a Centralized BI team. Should I create a specific workspace for the centralized BI team ? 

Any help on this will be very appreciated.

Andrea

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AndreaLee1212 ,

1. A tenant is a container for organizing items such as users, domains, subscriptions, and so on. For ease of administration, I recommend that you create only one tenant.
2. For different environments, for ease of management, it is recommended that you create different workspaces for different departments.
3. You can publish all reports for sharing to a dedicated workspace for easy sharing, or you can share them directly.
4. If you have two teams that need completely different reports, you can create different workspaces for them separately, and if you need to work together, you can create the same workspace and assign different workspace roles to members of different departments.

Please refer to the following documents for more information.

What is a Tenant? | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Power BI implementation planning: Tenant setup - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AndreaLee1212 ,

1. A tenant is a container for organizing items such as users, domains, subscriptions, and so on. For ease of administration, I recommend that you create only one tenant.
2. For different environments, for ease of management, it is recommended that you create different workspaces for different departments.
3. You can publish all reports for sharing to a dedicated workspace for easy sharing, or you can share them directly.
4. If you have two teams that need completely different reports, you can create different workspaces for them separately, and if you need to work together, you can create the same workspace and assign different workspace roles to members of different departments.

Please refer to the following documents for more information.

What is a Tenant? | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Power BI implementation planning: Tenant setup - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors