Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

soki

How to install a gateway on a server machine that is online 24/7

Hi, I have been having problems with a scheduled refresh. My dataset is WEB. The refreshes are failing because the gateway is installed on a machine that is not online all the time - I tried both personal but also on-premise gateway. And I know that in order to get it refreshed, the gateway should always be installed on a machine that is online 24/7.

But how do you exactly install the gateway on such a server machine which is online all the time to resolve this issue? I am really new to this. Any steps, what to do, and how? I have been looking on the internet for hours and I can't find anything.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @soki 

As @GilbertQ you can create a virtual network (VNet) data gat , but this feature is available only for Power BI datasets, Power Platform dataflows, and Power BI paginated reports. So if your data source is local, I don't recommend you use this feature .

You can refer to the offical document and decide if you want to use this feature .

What is a virtual network (VNet) data gateway (Preview) | Microsoft Learn

If your data is locally based or your data source is not eligible to use the above gateway, then I would still recommend installing a local standard gateway . The gateway itself is used as a service and is recommended to be installed on your server, which is usually kept on 24 hours a day, all year round.

Ailsamsft_0-1669345474057.png

I hope this information below will be helpful to you .

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-install#related-considera... 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @soki 

What you could do is to install a Virtual Machine in Azure. The virtual machine will always be on. Yes there is a cost to running a virtual machine but this will mean it can always be on.

Here are more details: Quickstart - Create a Windows VM in the Azure portal - Azure Virtual Machines | Microsoft Learn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks. Could I use https://www.servermania.com/cloud-hosting.htm cloud hosting like this and use that as my virtual machine in power bi? Or? Or Azure is also cheap? I just googled some prices and it was in thousands... I only need the VM for the refresh of my power bi reports. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors